Impala Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 LT with 3.6.

Video is below. Car has 101k miles and within the last week has started to leave significant puddles of oil (4-inch diameter) after being parked overnight. Last oil change was at 97k, so it’s not due for another thousand. Looks like it’s near the engine mount and where some mystery tube is open to atmosphere. Oil level is still good, so it’s not losing a ton, but it’s making a mess. Any ideas based on description and the video? Note, it’s been below zero for over a week here and it gets parked outside - not sure if related, but it’s never leaked oil until this cold snap and I’ve had it a couple years now. Tightened the oil filter maybe a 16th of a turn at best - it is snug. When you watch the video you’ll see there’s oil coming from above the vent hose and engine mount, so I’m stumped. Ideas appreciated.

video:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Possibly a failed filter gasket? I'd pick up a replacement filter, swap it in, and see if that stops the leak.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
520 Posts
Looks like it’s near the engine mount and where some mystery tube is open to atmosphere.
That mystery tube is from the drip tray that is under your oil filter. When you take the filter off it all gets caught in a little tray and drains out that tube (and then all over your sub-frame). I agree with Tesla, seems like maybe the oil filter gasket is leaking and draining out that tube. Give a new oil filter a try.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just changed oil tonight, used a genuine GM filter instead of a Wix. Took a peek at the gasket after removing, looked ok but wasn’t as “squishy” as the new GM one... will advise in a week or so! Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Just changed oil tonight, used a genuine GM filter instead of a Wix. Took a peek at the gasket after removing, looked ok but wasn’t as “squishy” as the new GM one... will advise in a week or so! Thanks for the suggestions.
Hope that does the trick for you. Hard to go wrong with a genuine GM filter.

I've had issues with aftermarket filters leaking, specifically a K&N premium. But a good alternative to the GM filter is the Bosch 3502. I've been using those for over three years now, and have been very happy with them. Excellent particulate filtration, never leaked a drop, and made in the USA. The Blackstone report that I receive following each oil change confirms that they're doing a great job. The wear metals in the samples I send are always very low.

Reactions: jchaase

·
Registered
299 Posts
An Oil Filter gasket-leak ... prevent ... is:
Lube the Gasket. Liberally.
Lube the Threads. Moderately.
Tighten according to manufacturers specs.
Then, ...
CHECK that it does NOT leak after running Engine long enough to have full Oil Pressure developed for a few minutes!

·
Registered
3 Posts
2012 LT with 3.6.

Video is below. Car has 101k miles and within the last week has started to leave significant puddles of oil (4-inch diameter) after being parked overnight. Last oil change was at 97k, so it’s not due for another thousand. Looks like it’s near the engine mount and where some mystery tube is open to atmosphere. Oil level is still good, so it’s not losing a ton, but it’s making a mess. Any ideas based on description and the video? Note, it’s been below zero for over a week here and it gets parked outside - not sure if related, but it’s never leaked oil until this cold snap and I’ve had it a couple years now. Tightened the oil filter maybe a 16th of a turn at best - it is snug. When you watch the video you’ll see there’s oil coming from above the vent hose and engine mount, so I’m stumped. Ideas appreciated.

video:
Check the hydraulic motor mount for leakage

1 - 8 of 8 Posts