Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got an annoying squeak coming from the rear passenger side of my 2011 impala. Everything looks good as far as bushings an everything but when im going down the road its almost constant going over any small bump or abnormality in the road. When parked if i bounce it up and down i dont really hear anything Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Ive got an annoying squeak coming from the rear passenger side of my 2011 impala. Everything looks good as far as bushings an everything but when im going down the road its almost constant going over any small bump or abnormality in the road. When parked if i bounce it up and down i dont really hear anything Any ideas?
So, when you're rolling on smooth pavement, you don't hear it? That would rule out the hub.

The w-body Impala's rear suspension - on each side - has a trailing arm, two lateral links, and a strut. So there are several points that could be squeaking. If I had to take a guess, I'd look at the strut, and the outboard ends of the lateral links.

If the strut is squeaking, I'd focus on the where the spring rests at top and bottom. Also, where the strut mount meets the shock towers.

You should be able to make it squeak sitting still. If it only does it rolling, I'd take a look at the rear hub/bearing on that side.

Doug

·
Registered
1,589 Posts

Here is an excellent write-up (with photos) regarding fixing rattles and squeaks on the 8th generation Impala: Fixing rattles and vibrations on Limited LTZ

·
Registered
408 Posts
Little late to this, but when I had a squeak like this it was the sway bar links. At first I couldn't reproduce it by bouncing on the back either, but eventually it got bad enough that I could. You could try disconnected them and see if those ball joints move smoothly. Or you could disconnect them and drive and see if the noise goes away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Little late to this, but when I had a squeak like this it was the sway bar links. At first I couldn't reproduce it by bouncing on the back either, but eventually it got bad enough that I could. You could try disconnected them and see if those ball joints move smoothly. Or you could disconnect them and drive and see if the noise goes away.
The sway bar links were the culprit on my '08 LT ... replaced them and no more noise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The higher end trims have a fold down rear seat to provide access through the trunk.

Your LTZ should have this option, there is a nylon loop on the top of the seat to release the latch and allow the seat back to pivot down.

if you don’t have this option, disregard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts