Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Impala LT, no police package, 122k miles. I'm getting a squeaking when I turn right. It's definitely cyclical with the rotation of the wheels. I'm guessing bad hub bearing, but I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this? Someone also suggested the brake dust shield could be rubbing on the rotor, but I'd think it would do it all the time then, not just when turning right. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Check the hubs. They are a common point of failure. Have replaced 3 front hub bearing assemblies on our 2012. The original eqpt assy's can be bought from rock auto for around $100.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Someone also suggested the brake dust shield could be rubbing on the rotor, but I'd think it would do it all the time then, not just when turning right.
There can be a tiny bit of play in otherwise good bearings to allow enough flex to cause it to rub or drag only when turning. Besides a bent dust shield, you might also look for a rock trapped between the shield and the inside of the rotor. I seem to recall having to dig one out on one of my cars :)

Likewise, the sensor (squealer) on the brake pad can also be causing it, and behave similarly by only doing it while turning. (This implies a well worn pad.)

Furthermore, and even more likely, the caliper can move slightly during turns which can definitely cause the sensor to touch the rotor and squeal. Worn slide pins, or slide pins with all the lube dried up, can allow quite a bit of play in the calipers.

All that said, it could also a wheel bearing (hub). Getting it jacked up and inspected should reveal the cause.

HTH.

Doug

1 - 4 of 4 Posts