Impala Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to lower my 96 ss an inch or two. Anyone got any recommendations on which springs to go with?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I personally have Hotchkis and am happy with them, but they don't lower as much as some others out there. Depends exactly how much you want to lower. I'm pretty sure Sprint springs go a good bit lower. Just make sure to upgrade your shocks at the same time whatever spring you choose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea i was thinking about going with Sprint springs and tokico shocks...but i'm still looking, but whatever i go with, i'l make sure to post some pics

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hotchkis.....

And thanks maesstro for the pics!

KW
No problem. I should probably get some of my car one of these days too, but I figure most people have already seen a BBB SS with Hotchkis suspension and 275/40's on stock wheels.

Yea i was thinking about going with Sprint springs and tokico shocks...but i'm still looking, but whatever i go with, i'l make sure to post some pics

Go with sprint if that's the ride height you want, but I would recommend the bilstein sport shocks regardless of whatever spring set you decide to go with. Plus they have a lifetime warranty- not that I've ever used mine though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What about the Eibach Springs?

I have a 91 Caprice and I had 22's on her and when I would make right hand turns the right rims would rub the fender well or skirt. Not the whole rim just the knuckles of the rim that pasted out the rim lip a 1/4 -1/2 inch. But I'm ridin stock now and would like to buy some impala wheels when my money gets right. Just not sure about the suspension drop I would like.

So the options are:

Eibach $255.95 1-2" lower
Hotchkis $279.95 1" lower
Intrax $199.95 1.8" lower

I also would like to address the Body roll @ sometime too but I don't know if that is a diff thread..

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
yea well w lowering your car you address the problem a little bit i used to have a stock 1991 caprice i loved it ...... i never got hard into corners to see what kind of body roll it had ..... but i now have a 1995 9c1 and i know the have the anti roll " sway " bar under the rear end im sure u could find one for a couple hundred and im sure some 1 has already done the swap peace good luck:biggrin:

·
Registered
624 Posts
just a obtw,in may case i was going to drop my 91 i knew getting in/out of the driveway was close (with a aftermrk bumper) the air dam rubs,yeah the angles the road ,sidewalk and driveway made it a nogo , in fact if i went this 45 series tires instead of the 55 id be screwed..yep its that close

·
Registered
47 Posts
Why should you change your shocks when you lower your car. What if the shocks are still good do you still need to change them.

·
Registered
288 Posts
A couple of reasons. Typically, shorter springs are stiffer, thus making your old shocks too soft. Another reason is because of the lowered ride height, you now have less suspension travel. This can bottom out a stock length shock, which is bad. Thus, you get a stiffer shock with less travel to match your new springs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Im thinking of lowering my 94SS and im going to go with Sprints i heard that it lowers your car 3 inches my question is what type of shocks do you guys recommend with that ?

·
Registered
3 Posts

Did you end up getting the tokico shocks and sprint springs? I'm doing it all on my 95 SS and looking for opinions. Just really don't want to spend the cash on bilstiens. Thanks

·
Registered
741 Posts
I lowered mine with vogtland springs. I have monroe SS on my fronts and KYB on the back. Blisteins are expensive and I heard they aren't much difference than Monroe SS.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts