Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, 2012 LTZ, 75k miles, good maintenance, no oil consumption

About a week ago i was sitting in a parking lot waiting on my son, all of a sudden the temp gauge spikes, I get the a/c off, idle engine notification, I mess with the vent to defrost to feet, it drops in a few seconds. I smelled some coolant but no internal drips, no external drips on the pavement. it has happened off and on over the last week, typically in slow traffic or stopped, mess with the HVAC controls, kinda like old school cars with heater core issues, and it drops back in seconds to normal. today it happened at speed and my check engine light is on. and is staying on.

I used to be able to do some work on my rides but this newer stuff relies on top many computer interconnects!
ANY IDEAS? my first thought is a stuck thermostat.

:WTF:

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Could be a thermostat, could be a fan issue, could be a lot of things really. I would probably start by getting the codes read and see what they tell you - otherwise, we're all just guessing.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update. Check engine light was off this am. Cruised as well as she did new. Until 12 miles from home. Went all spastic! Realized I had bought the extra 125k, 5yr warranty. I usually get screwed on those but...water pump, outlet pipe and a bunch of other stuff. On the test drive, the tech dug deeper and found hub assemblies, front struts, and steering gears, power steering pump need to be replaced. The service advisor found out that GM still had warranty on the water pump/temp stuff.
Long story short - my local CarMax service advisor is awesome. The local chevy dealer is awesome, getting a loaner while they work on the Impy.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ Fwiw, if you don't have a scan tool/code reader, you can have the codes read for free at most parts stores.
Good to know. I knew this was beyond just getting codes. ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^+1. If the cel was on, you have some stored code(s). Best diagnostic starting point.
Yep. It is in the shop now.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dun, done and fixed!

Reactions: sheila
1 - 8 of 8 Posts