Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
When i did that to my S-10 all i needed to do was put a switch on the speed sensor on the trany so the computer couldnt tell how fast i was going when i fliped the switch so it didn't know when to cut me off. not sure if it would work the same on an impala though

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now, if I was to buy a tuner (OBD II I would imagine) ,could it be used on my truck (02 chevy 2500HD)?

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
No. The tuner will program only one type of setup. Each of your vehicles need its own program modified. There is no universal tuner program for every type of vehicle.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No. The tuner will program only one type of setup. Each of your vehicles need its own program modified. There is no universal tuner program for every type of vehicle.
Unless you are a dealership I have heard.

That sucks, just a way to get more money out of you.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Send it to me and I'll pull the speed limiter for $50+shipping.
You'll be out your car during shipping though.
Depends what year/model you have also.

I have programming equipment and can basically tune every GM and Holden(GM australia) vehicle from 1996 to 2007.
I use a couple different laptop based programming tools.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
HPTuners lets you buy credits, so yes it could...

http://www.hptuners.com/products/vcmsuite_creditsfaq.php

IE: 1 credit buys the license for your Imp, a second credit buys a lic for the HD, 3rd buys for a 99 camaro SS. Depending on which one you buy you'll get "X" number of credits (usually either one vehicle) theres another option of buying the credits for the engine (ie 98-03 L67s) If you can find a copy of DHP Powertuner, its fully unlocked (from my understanding) b/c support is no longer offered

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Still there is no universal program that programs every car. These credits buys you the license to purchase or modify a tuner program. His question was just buying one program and programming all of his vehicles.

So the software must still be set up for the specific vehicle that is being reprogrammed.

That is a nice find for those whom want to change or have multiple vehicles they want to change and/or modify the programs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If all your vehicles are GM,yes there is a program you can buy that will tune all of them just about from 96 to 07.
You need to have about 4k minimum to drop on it though,but you will have real time tuning available.
I've got over 4k in tuning stuffs,just purchased another 800$ and about to drop another 3k$.
You can get as deep as you want too.
No tuning suite programs every make/model though-most are brand specifc Ie..Honda,GM,Ford
With the exception of Hptuners which does GM and Ford I believe.
HPtuners is okay for personal tuning,but they're options are somewhat elementary and their real time is laughable as I understand it.
Great program,but not for serious tuners.
None of the well known tuners that I know mess with it.
Ed wright has both programs I have,but mainly uses stuff he wrote himself. Wester's uses and has wrote several files for one suite I have.
For serious tuning options check out some of Craig Moates' products,that dude is a genius and extremely helpful.
I got my first tuning suite direct from the developer when it was introduced and it's not VIN-locked.
It's now licensed by JET as some Dynamic peice of crap that is almost useless without alot of knowledge in tuning,and is also VIN locked with license's.

And a dealership can't program a pcm,it can change just a few parameter's depending on vehicle-and update the factory calibration.
The local GM dealer calls me when they need to program big wheels/tire sizes etc..
And at the local Ford dealer I'm the technician that reprograms the pcm for things like that generally-we don't have the capability to "tune" anything.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
sorry guys i took his q as more of what would tune both his vehicles, and since they were both GM... anyway

OP- you can USUALLY find them used around $300 w/ the 3800 stuff already on there, so all you'd need to do is spend the extra $100 or so to buy the credits for the truck, unless you get lucky ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts