Impala Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I was wondering if any of you know the radio wattage of the 2014 Chevy impala. I'm asking because I'm about to change the speakers inside of the vehicle and I want to make sure that the cars head unit and AMP will be able to give me the best sound. While, no I am not changing my AMP or head unit and I know these things will make a huge difference, at the moment I am not looking to change them at this moment...

·
Super Moderator
227 Posts
About 40 watts RMS at 2-ohms x 4-channels of actual real audio power. The rub here is the speaker impedance, a 4-ohm will get roughly 18-20 watts of real audio power with a 12 volt source while halving the impedance will effectively double this according to ohms law (E sq/R) as the OE amps are running in a "bridged" configuration. There are some decent 2-ohm upgrade speakers out there from the likes of Crutchfield and Parts-express.com who specializes in this field.

I'm running a set of Kenwood's in the rear and Polk in the front of my Gen-7 driving them with my old-school Sherwood 4x50 watt amp with the factory head. I had to make a transformer matching section as the OE head puts out a constant +8 volts on the lines and a high drive level but it all came together and I recycled a connector end from an OE trunk mount amp to make it all plug-N-play. It's a chore but I didn't have to cut up any of the OE wiring and retained the programming functions within the head so it all worked out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About 40 watts RMS at 2-ohms x 4-channels of actual real audio power. The rub here is the speaker impedance, a 4-ohm will get roughly 18-20 watts of real audio power with a 12 volt source while halving the impedance will effectively double this according to ohms law (E sq/R) as the OE amps are running in a "bridged" configuration. There are some decent 2-ohm upgrade speakers out there from the likes of Crutchfield and Parts-express.com who specializes in this field.

I'm running a set of Kenwood's in the rear and Polk in the front of my Gen-7 driving them with my old-school Sherwood 4x50 watt amp with the factory head. I had to make a transformer matching section as the OE head puts out a constant +8 volts on the lines and a high drive level but it all came together and I recycled a connector end from an OE trunk mount amp to make it all plug-N-play. It's a chore but I didn't have to cut up any of the OE wiring and retained the programming functions within the head so it all worked out.
So should I switch the speakers to a 4-ohm or leave it at 2? Would a 4-ohm speaker give me a better sound? I did get the chance to speak to someone over at Crutchfield and they gave me a quote for a nice sent of speakers, but the front set isn't a 6x9, Its a 6x5. The newer ones they gave me a quote on.

·
Super Moderator
227 Posts
It all comes down to your tastes, the impedance only relates to the loading of the amplifier itself and contrary to beliefs has little to do with the sound quality. Some claim deeper bass with a 2 ohm speaker and to a certain extent this is true at the higher volumes but a quality speaker is going to sound better than the factory parts. If you're one for conservative volume levels the more common 4-ohm would work well with the factory head & amp.
My best advice is to do some research and read up on opinions, maybe start with Crutchfield and find what you might like then look around Google or comparison shop on Amazon paying attention to the reviews others have posted.

·
Registered
2014 Impala Limited
2 Posts

Are you saying that the factory speakers are 2 ohm? I changed my rear ones out a couple years ago but I can't remember what they were.

·
Super Moderator
227 Posts
Yes the OEM speakers used with the trunk mount amplifier are 2 Ohm impedance, can't speak for the base system but I do recall the Impala used a model specific speaker and is marked on the magnet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts