Impala Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. Hopefully I'm posting in the right area. I'm changing the spark plugs on my 2014 Chevy impala 2lt. I located the spark plugs that's on the front of the engine. Not sure where the rest are. I'm guessing in the back of the engine. Are they easy to get too. Any input on this topic will be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Hello guys. Hopefully I'm posting in the right area. I'm changing the spark plugs on my 2014 Chevy impala 2lt. I located the spark plugs that's on the front of the engine. Not sure where the rest are. I'm guessing in the back of the engine. Are they easy to get too. Any input on this topic will be appreciated.

The other three spark plugs are on the firewall side of the engine. They are very difficult to get to.

GM’s service manual recommends removing the intake manifold to change the three (rear) spark plugs.

Sometime ago, there was a post on this forum from a member who was able to change the three plugs without removing the intake manifold - with specific instructions on how to loosen the coil boot, raise it, rotate it and remove it - to gain access to the spark plug tube.

I do not have the post bookmarked. I think there is also a YouTube video on how to change the spark plugs on the 3.6L.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would simply remove the upper intake manifold. It is very easy to remove and makes the job so much easier.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
There is no reason to remove the manifold. Back plugs on the lfx are not that difficult to get out at all. Have changed them in the 3.6 in our 2012 twice now and the second time took about 30 minutes to change them all. The coilpacks clear with a quarter turn.

The video and post suggested above in post #2 by @1999 White C5 Coupe ;were what initially brought me to this forum a few years back. Should be this one https://www.impalaforums.com/chevy-impala-8th-gen-discussion/718378-lfx-spark-plugs-who-s-done-it.html. Have stuck around since.

·
Registered
114 Posts
A good chance to clean the intake, or put a jacfab spacer on and bigger TB ?

There is no reason to remove the manifold. Back plugs on the lfx are not that difficult to get out at all. Have changed them in the 3.6 in our 2012 twice now and the second time took about 30 minutes to change them all. The coilpacks clear with a quarter turn.

The video and post suggested above in post #2 by @1999 White C5 Coupe ;were what initially brought me to this forum a few years back. Should be this one https://www.impalaforums.com/chevy-impala-8th-gen-discussion/718378-lfx-spark-plugs-who-s-done-it.html. Have stuck around since.

·
Registered
121 Posts

The OP stated he has a 2014 2LT (New Generation). The Air Inlet of the Intake is in a different position than that of the previous generation and sits right over one of the Coil Packs. The Previous generation Impala LFX uses a completely different Upper Intake than the new generation Impala. It is near impossible to get the Coil & Spark Plug out on a New Style Impala with out removing the upper intake. It is not hard to remove, takes about 10 minutes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The OP stated he has a 2014 2LT (New Generation). The Air Inlet of the Intake is in a different position than that of the previous generation and sits right over one of the Coil Packs. The Previous generation Impala LFX uses a completely different Upper Intake than the new generation Impala. It is near impossible to get the Coil & Spark Plug out on a New Style Impala with out removing the upper intake. It is not hard to remove, takes about 10 minutes.
OK, my mistake.

Thought I read where another member here did change plugs on a 9th gen without removing the intake, maybe it was a newer limited model, still seems to be some confusion on what some call 9th gen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guess what. I have to remove manifold in order to to get to the two remaining plugs. Sucks. That's the only way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried removing manifold. I'm not getting all the screws. Any help would be appreciated. I removed intake.

·
Registered
156 Posts

The intake manifold will have to be removed. See the attachment.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
In a jam. As I was removing manifold from engine. Trying to get to the spark plugs The hose leading from the coolant reservoir to the engine. The quick connect part broke off. Would anyone have that part number or the name for that part so I can better explain it to the other fools at the auto part store. I believe it's the the overflow hose.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts