Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help on getting to the rear spark plugs.... I have heard people drop the engine forward but I wouldn't know where to begin besides undoing the engine mounts... Any way to do it without dropping it forward? like what should I remove and what not? thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Not "drop" but rotate the engine forward.

04DetroitLS will have to chime in on how to rock the engine forward to do this procedure.

My understanding is that a "dog bone" motor mount will need to be removed and the car moved either forward or reversed to get the motor to rotate forward.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
you can mov ethe engine forward by removing the dog bones (the 2 black supports in the fornt of the engine bay towards the middle - they connect the engine to the body of the car) and use a ratchet strap ($10-15 @ any parts/hardware store) to move the engine forward a few inches. There is an engine lift poit on your car around the power steering pump IIRC. that should help w/ accessing the plugs a little easier

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
leave the mounts attacthed to the eninge, there are 2 18mm nuts you can remove from the mounts and remove the middle section, they should line up fairly easy since all youre doing is moving it forward

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not meaning to bump an old thread but I just changed mine. The ratchet didn't help so I took the dogbones apart on the engine side. Then I pulled the engine as far forward as I could and ran a bolt through on the passenger side dogbone in front of the engine to use as a brace. So it gave me a good three or four inches and stayed that way until I was done. Just thought I'd add.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
All I do is pull the wires on the coil packs and I get enough room, I am by no means small either. I wear XL gloves and shirts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts