Impala Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you can probably see, I'm kind of a noob when it comes to cars, but I'm trying to learn at least lol. Is it worth doing a spark plug change if I'm not having any issues? If the plugs are fine is it worth replacing them? I'm not really worried about spending the money(not that I'm rich, just figure if it's something to do, I don't mind shelling out for it). Car has 150k miles on it, and not aware of the spark plugs ever being changed(not the first owner, but never saw any paperwork or anything to the likes of them being swapped)

Also, if it does need them, any advantage to putting anything other than stock plugs in? Again, I'm not worried about spending a few extra on plugs if it can help. Or am I better off just using stock plugs?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
As you can probably see, I'm kind of a noob when it comes to cars, but I'm trying to learn at least lol. Is it worth doing a spark plug change if I'm not having any issues? If the plugs are fine is it worth replacing them? I'm not really worried about spending the money(not that I'm rich, just figure if it's something to do, I don't mind shelling out for it). Car has 150k miles on it, and not aware of the spark plugs ever being changed(not the first owner, but never saw any paperwork or anything to the likes of them being swapped)

Also, if it does need them, any advantage to putting anything other than stock plugs in? Again, I'm not worried about spending a few extra on plugs if it can help. Or am I better off just using stock plugs?

Year, make, model, engine....

If the spark plugs have 150,000 miles on them - definitely due for a change.

If you got 150,000 miles from the original spark plugs, that is fantastic. I always suggest OEM spark plugs - not any other brand.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Year, make, model, engine....

If the spark plugs have 150,000 miles on them - definitely due for a change.

If you got 150,000 miles from the original spark plugs, that is fantastic. I always suggest OEM spark plugs - not any other brand.
My apologies. 2014 Chevy Impala 3.6L V6 engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts

AC Delco iridium good for 100k miles.
Be sure to spray the plugs before inserting ie base to prevent being stuck

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
AC Delco iridium good for 100k miles.
Be sure to spray the plugs before inserting ie base to prevent being stuck

GM does not recommend any coatings on the spark plug threads, including anti seize compound.

The ACDelco spark plug threads have a special coating which enables them to be removed easily.

The intake manifold must be removed for the 3.6L engine in the 2014 Impala (new model) for the rear spark plugs to be changed.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
The intake manifold must be removed for the 3.6L engine in the 2014 Impala (new model) for the rear spark plugs to be changed.
I defer to 1999 White C5 Coupe on the new models, but, just in case, on the earlier (gen 8) Impalas, also produced in 2014 as the Impala Limited, there's this video showing how to get at the rear plugs without pulling the intake, FWIW.

The rears start at about the 3:30 mark.

Doug

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Was around 100,000 on the original plugs on ours when I changed them in our 2012, replaced with autolite iridiums. The original plugs when I pulled them did not look bad at all and looked like they could have gone several thousand miles more with no performance or efficiency issues. The autolites did not last as long, changed them last year to bosch iridium plugs. Think the autolites only had a little less than 70,000 on them. Definitely worth going with the oe delco plugs and likely what I will go back with on the next change on our car depending on how long the bosch plugs last. Would expect our car to be around 250,000 miles on it for the next plug change.

·
Registered
11 Posts
^ 12 lt, do you remember if you used the Bosch #9916 iridiums?
Sheila hello are you sold on the above stated Bosch spark plug? If so why may I ask? I use Bosch windshield wiper ie icons great wiper.
What I dont like is the price they're all bad. I have replaced every year just did so. My car is not garaged my car gets all weather. A wise and highly experienced mechanic told me years ago to run a pumice stone along the wiper edge and use them longer. Well next Fall that is what I'm going to do.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
No, I prefer oem AC Delco #41-109, but I saw the Bosch #9616 iridium plugs on sale for $1/ea. at Rockauto.

·
Registered
11 Posts
No, I prefer oem AC Delco #41-109, but I saw the Bosch #9916 iridium plugs on sale for $1/ea. at Rockauto.
I feel Bosch makes fine products and wow the price! If it were my purchase my car would probably not run correctly. Probably work just fine for others. What year impala do you drive, 2009 here

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
^ '12 LT, '13 LT and '16 LT Limited. I drive the '12 LT. I maintain them all. Fwiw, my old Fords hated Bosch plugs...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
^ 12 lt, do you remember if you used the Bosch #9616 iridiums?
Yes Sheila, they were the 9616. I bought them from autozone and payed 7.49 a plug for them, but there was a rebate on them when I bought them. I would definitely buy them for a buck a piece, might buy some for the next change if they are still that price.

Our car runs pretty well like new, hard to believe we will go over 200,000 miles on it sometime this year.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Have you got a link to the plugs at that price Sheila? I am on rock auto's site and they are listed at $4.56 a plug.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
^ Sorry, they were wholesalers clearance/closeout items a while back. I found them checking the orange rss feed for my '12 LT. Iirc, they only offered 4 or 5.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts