Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking under the hood of my '03, and the 3 front spark plugs seem easy to get at, but the 3 facing the firewall, is there a trick to getting at those 3? This is for the 3.4 engine by the way

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Was looking under the hood of my '03, and the 3 front spark plugs seem easy to get at, but the 3 facing the firewall, is there a trick to getting at those 3? This is for the 3.4 engine by the way

You can disconnect the top engine struts / mounts and rock the engine forward while the transmission is in neutral (with the wheels chocked and parking brake applied...).

Some of the struts had a bolt hold moulded into one of the struts, which enables you to remove the strut bolt on the front side, rock the engine forward using the mount on the engine and pry bar, then insert the bolt through the “holding” position hole. Others, require a special bracket or strap that you can buy to use.

Be prepared to replace the spark plug wires, as they are often damaged on the back side when you remove them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can disconnect the top engine struts / mounts and rock the engine forward while the transmission is in neutral (with the wheels chocked and parking brake applied...).

Some of the struts had a bolt hold moulded into one of the struts, which enables you to remove the strut bolt on the front side, rock the engine forward using the mount on the engine and pry bar, then insert the bolt through the “holding” position hole. Others, require a special bracket or strap that you can buy to use.

Be prepared to replace the spark plug wires, as they are often damaged on the back side when you remove them.

EGAD! They didn't make it easy, thanks for the info

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nota a big deal to change

Its not really bad to do.

I just did my 2005 with the 3.4 a month or so ago. I dropped the serpentine belt, alternator, and overflow jug. Seemed easier than rolling the motor.

You have to do it all from the passenger side left handed but it was no big deal.

Spark plug wire boot puller pliers with a little offset was a plus along with a large inspection mirror.

I planned on doing wires anyway but didnt break any getting the old ones off.

Make sure to be generous with the dielectric grease on the new wires for next time. I used a little anti seize on the new plug threads also.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Its not really bad to do.

I just did my 2005 with the 3.4 a month or so ago. I dropped the serpentine belt, alternator, and overflow jug. Seemed easier than rolling the motor.

You have to do it all from the passenger side left handed but it was no big deal.

Spark plug wire boot puller pliers with a little offset was a plus along with a large inspection mirror.

I planned on doing wires anyway but didnt break any getting the old ones off.

Make sure to be generous with the dielectric grease on the new wires for next time. I used a little anti seize on the new plug threads also.

Information about using anti seize compound on spark plug threads: http://www.jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepairPhotos/NGK_TB-0630111antisieze.pdf

GM does not recommend anti seize on the spark plug threads in their various service manuals (modern vehicles and spark plugs).

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don’t remember having a lot of trouble getting the plugs out of my ‘02 ... but then again - the last time I changed them might’ve been when I replaced the intake gaskets at 104,000 miles. I’m at 223.6k now!

I think they’ll come out without removing anything but the wires. You gotta do it blind reaching over the top, but with the right extensions I think it’s doable. I seem to remember climbing on top of the engine to reduce the strain on my back

And I’ve never used anti-seize on my plugs in any of my cars ... 30+ years now...

·
Registered
29 Posts
It truly is easier tipping the engine forward a bit. It's hard enough that way, I can't get to the plug wires or plugs (or O2 sensor either) with the engine in the normal position. I tip it forward and put a bolt back in around the bracket to hold it forward, using a prybar for leverage to pull the engine forward. It's not hard, after you do it once you will agree. Just make sure the engine is secured from tipping back unexpectedly, or it will hurt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts