Impala Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I can change frequencies for low/mid/high all independently.. For someone who enjoys "turning it up and enjoying", its something else.

·
Go Get It
15,095 Posts
proper eq'ing takes practice and patience. It also requires a head unit that will allow you to tune individual frequencies, as opposed to just lows, mids, and highs. The reason many head units only allow for "three-stage" eq'ing is because of it's relative simplicity. Most people can understand lows, mids, and highs, but once you start getting into tuning individual freqs, it can get complicated quickly.

There should be some presets on the head unit such as "Rock" "Classical" etc. Try these, and see if you notice the same degradation of sound quality with an increase in volume.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
All presets are actually bad right away. My custom one I have is bare able. That said, this HU allows tuning individual frequencies. Guess ill just have to start reading and learn how to figure this out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Go Get It
15,095 Posts
The factory presets should sound decent, so if they don't sound good, that's a red flag that something is possibly wrong inside the head unit. Read up on EQing and fiddle around with it some more, but I'd say don't spend too much time on it if you can't get a sound you like. At some point, it would be easier and cheaper to just replace the unit with a new one that will have decent sounding presets where you don't have to mess with it a bunch.

That said, learning how to properly EQ a system is a very valuable thing to know, and can only help you down the line.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
sooooo... i have a question. On the harness i got with the stereo there was a 1k resistor inline on the acc wire. i ended up breaking that off when wiring it up and just left it out... could that be causing my issue?

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Run a 4 channel amp :eek:k3:

·
Go Get It
15,095 Posts
sooooo... i have a question. On the harness i got with the stereo there was a 1k resistor inline on the acc wire. i ended up breaking that off when wiring it up and just left it out... could that be causing my issue?
I seriously doubt it. Thats just the wire that tells the head unit when to turn on

·
Go Get It
15,095 Posts

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Thanks! I did a bit of searching and it seems its used as an inline fuse of sorts... designed to burn out before causing HU damage. I can throw a fuse in there or take whatever happens lol

Heres a bit of an interesting tidbit... sitting with the vehicle OFF but in the on/acc selection, the HU never has a problem.. but if i start and listen for a few minutes the problem resurrects. Would a capacitor help this? If so, where might i install it? Power wire?

·
Go Get It
15,095 Posts
Hmmmmm. that's interesting. I'm not quite sure what would fix that actually. A capacitor might, if the problem is with the difference in voltage from on/acc to start. It very well could be, but I think that you wouldn't fix the problem, just find a work-around. I honestly have no clue what could be up with the inside of your head unit to make it trip up over the voltage difference, so I can't say with certainty what will or will not happen

Reactions: Hill

·
Go Get It
15,095 Posts
No problem! I've been teaching myself car audio for the past 4 years, and still consider myself on a hobby level. I do have a business doing stereo installs though lol

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
See that back cast piece that's screwed onto the rear of the unit? Has the "remote" text on it...

Well, I removed that before as I was lazy and the unit was too big for my car without taping the wires back and I was rushing the job...

So I noticed there is usually a chip underneath it in the center... I get the feeling that back cast is a heatsink for that chip lol... I put it back on now as taped the wires down, so if it fixes my issue ill let you guys know ;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Go Get It
15,095 Posts
Probably good to have a heat sink. Let us know the outcome

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I'm a fucking retard. Reinstalled the deck and it works amazing! Exactly as I had hoped! Seems that the rear plate is the heatsink. Time to enjoy!

·
Go Get It
15,095 Posts
Nice! glad you got it fixed!

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Yes any rear plate on a HU is the heatsink and in most cases is aluminum. These should NOT be removed. It would likely cause overheating and even worse fry your HU. I am a bit confused as to why removing it would case your issue though.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
It's like any CPU in a computer. It would operate improperly. In a stereo it might just lower its available output to prevent overheating, just as a computer might limit or lower your power to decrease heat.

Just my thoughts.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
It's like any CPU in a computer. It would operate improperly. In a stereo it might just lower its available output to prevent overheating, just as a computer might limit or lower your power to decrease heat.

Just my thoughts.
Good analogy but, not true with computers. If "power saver" is enabled your cpu multiplier drops therefor lowers your frequency automatically. Removing the heatsink or fan would simply overheat the cpu and cause the dreaded BSOD.

I really had no idea stereo's had this function though. But, you'd think the stereo would perform normally for a certain amt of time first until it starts to get hot then, drop power.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts