Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an 04 SS and I have the factory speakers and amp. I installed a pioneer AVH-X4500BT and the sound is really shot the treble is fine but the bass is just not giving me what I had in the factory. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
With view, I assume you used the gmos adapter? Did you adjust the gain on the adapter? My speakers don't have as much bass now either, but they are a lot louder.

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Try bypassing the factory amp. The factory amp on this gen is incredibly restrictive. With an aftermarket HU, you will notice a dramatic reduction in sound quality, unless you bypass the amp. The bypass harness is ~$20 online

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Try bypassing the factory amp. The factory amp on this gen is incredibly restrictive. With an aftermarket HU, you will notice a dramatic reduction in sound quality, unless you bypass the amp. The bypass harness is ~$20 online
Agreed. Lot's of people miss this when installing a new HU.

I have read that bypassing the factory amp with the factory HU will even net gains. Why did GM go with this trunk amp then?

·
Registered
226 Posts
or u could get a nice little 4 channel and all new speakers all the way around. :D i can tell u all about it. done it about 4 times now replacing factory then replacing the replacements. lol

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
so... what is the point of the amp in this vehicle? I know nothing about audio, so what does the amp DO and why is it more beneficial to remove it?

I got a double din pioneer and high audio dies off slowly until its hard to hear and when have a high bass song, every time the bass hits the voices or treble get distorted. Is this something an amp bypass can help with?

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
The amplifier is meant to work with the factory head unit to amplify the signal going to the speakers. It works well in the stock system, because that's the way it was engineered, but as soon as you change out the head unit, the factory amp doesn't work as well. The reason for this is that the aftermarket head units come with built in amplifiers, and the factory amp restricts the already-amplified signal, causing distortion.

If you have an aftermarket head unit, and are having sound quality issues, the first thing I would try is the amp bypass. It's less than $20 and will likely fix your issue.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Thanks RYD SLO! The new HU did say it came with a built in amp, so i will get this and hope it fixes my problem! Each song was making me adjust every little variable when i have no idea what 90% do lol... I was pretty disappointed. Thanks!

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
The bypass harness didn't work for me...

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Hopefully it will help. I think it will

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Scotty, what was the problem you were having?

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Heres a neat little question... My amp (2004 base model) doesnt have the amp bolted to up top inside the trunk. Is there a location for an amp for a 2004 base?

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
That is the location. Many base models came without factory amplified systems. If this is the case, your issues are coming from somewhere else in the system (likely the head unit since it would be the only signal processor in the system)

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Did you buy the HU new or used? check your connections to make sure your power, ground, and speaker leads are all well connected

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Yes, go back and double check all of your connections. If they check out, I would venture a guess and say the head unit is the problem. I remember you said on another thread that you picked up a headunit on kijiji for something like $30, is this the same unit? If so, you might want to consider why it was so cheap.

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Have you messed with any of the eq settings?

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Yeah... I know the settings are "personal preference", however there are frequencies, highs, lows, mids (what), as well are boosts, both for bass and over all.... There is a million options and I either lose bass entirely or it gets funky. I can get medium volume and be happy, but as soon as I turn it up past a certain point it immediately drops in quality.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts