Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have encountered another problem with my 02 Impala. I had to install new speakers since one in the front and one in the back where blown. After installing them, I have noticed that the one that was originally blown in the front turns off completely or makes a static like noise. The speakers that I purchased do have tweeters, but do not have extra wire connections for them so I did not hook up the factory wiring for the tweeters only the speaker. Does anyone know what is causing this and have a solution for this problem?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well this depends on what you mean you're problem is. Are you asking why your speakers are blowing or what to do about the extra tweeter there on your aftermarket speakers.

Now the speakers can or could be blown by diffrent reasons but main reason is vol. level is to high for long periods of time. That can cause speaker to go out but not all of them to go out at one time they'll go out at diffrent times. Also another thing to check is the bass tuner to much can also do a speaker in. With this adjust the stock none premium speakers to a confertable level between the high mids and lows and don't turn to max volume that should help you from blowing a speaker. Also that static you're hearing is the voice coil trying to work to make the speaker go up and down that will give you a high static like noise from the speaker.

Now as to the extra tweeter you have does it detach from the speaker or is it mounted to the to it. If its hard mounted and doesn't come off you don't need anything more then the stock wires to hook it up the tweeter will be powered by the head unit through the speaker it self. If the tweeter comes off or has a plug for it then yes you will need to run wires for it. What you will loose from not hooking up tweeters is all the finer highs that are hard to hear without a tweeter there. You should be able to enjoy the music with out it.

Also if you like good music at higher vol. try going ahead and replacing the other speakes in the car with aftermarket aswell that way you avoid that terrible static sound in the future.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had replaced the factory speakers with aftermarket ones. They new speakers have not blown. And yes the tweeter is mounted on top of the aftermarket speakers. The original factory speaker that I replaced which was blown, is the same speaker than I'm having trouble with now, the static like noise is when the volume is low and when it is high. It also fades in and out, for example if I am braking or slowing down it will cut off, once I start accelerating it will come back in. The noise isn't so much as a static noise but kind of like a popping/static like noise. I'm not really sure on how to describe the noise.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sound like then you've got a grounding issue. I had this same type of sound in my car with a distributer type ignition with bad wiring causing it to send elecitrical pulses through my wires and into my radio. It would give me what your discribing there as static from when your stoped and going. You might want to check your speaker wires and behind your head unit for any cut wires that might be grounding out on somthing any small cuts in the wires can cause this. Might also want to see about your grounding wire see if grounded real well. If not grounded all the way you could be getting feed back through the wires.

Also if checking the wires arn't cut and grounding doesn't help. Your local car audio will have ground loop isolator you can buy it will help cancle out any extra white noise in your audio system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts