Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok So im planning on buying a Impala(used) soon. But i cant decide wat exactly I want. I would prefer to get sumthin old wit a v8 but i need sumthin im not gonna have too many problems wit that would get me around for now. So ive got 3 choices. I need sum suggestions and wat would I have less problems wit? and wat just looks better?

1. 2004/05 Impala SS
2. 2006 Impala LT/LTZ
3. 2004/2005 Impala LS

Does the 05 SS come with Bose system?

I want Leather and Steering Wheel Controls for sure.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
1 or 3, but im biased ;)
issues on the 3.8 w bodies
wheel hub/speed sensors part is about $100, if you can repalce brakes you can fix yourself if/when it goes
POSSIBLE UIM/LIM gasket issues (04/05 arent as bad as previous years) - theyre not hard to replace, and fairly cheap like $40ish
warping rotors - uless they went w/ a good blank, most ppl went cheapo when replaced....
Blend door actuator (HVAC) behind the dash, PITA to replace, but cheap fix

Not saying anyof this will happen, just what they're prone to/have seen a few posts on ;)

Other than that the 3.8 is pretty bullet proof, as long as its properly maintained, i beat the piss out of mine and it ran fine until teardown in Nov, the trans went 40k on a slipping trans (self induced) before finally giving out, ppl say they'r ethe weak link in the cars (once you start modding it) but i TRIED killing mine for the year before it finally gave up, I was surprised at how much abuse it took!

·
Banned
351 Posts
the 06 LTZ is very well equipped and the 3.9L is a great, strong engine. I was looking into one myself before I found my SS... I like the SS more because I am a power fiend... the price was $14K with 38,000 miles. It was mint, but was a previous lease vehicle.

My PERSONAL suggestion is dont get too hung up on a specific yr or model, becuase if you look around you just might find a great deal on something else.

Also, unless you are paying cash, an interest rate is almost invaluable... You can get an 07 Impala still under plenty of warranty, and if its GM certified you can get a rate as low as 2.9%. The 05's too, but you miss out on some warranty benefits.

The 8th gens will be better at holding their value since it is a newer design (but that is a very general statement).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya i know the 3.8L is a pretty good engine. And i really want that supercharger. Just want that power and it screamin when im drivin down the road. Only thing is I was surprised the 3.9L had about 230hp and the 3.8L SC only had about 10 more hp.

And i think ur right about the resell value because its the newer body sytle. But i think im just going to look for the best deal outta all 3

thanks

·
Registered
358 Posts
Ya i know the 3.8L is a pretty good engine. And i really want that supercharger. Just want that power and it screamin when im drivin down the road. Only thing is I was surprised the 3.9L had about 230hp and the 3.8L SC only had about 10 more hp.

And i think ur right about the resell value because its the newer body sytle. But i think im just going to look for the best deal outta all 3

thanks
i say 3.8 with the blower ;) all the way. ya the 3.9 has 230 hp but it does not have 280 ftlbs :) . also the performance parts for the 3.8 is endless. unlike any of the 8th gen.

·
Banned
351 Posts
i say 3.8 with the blower ;) all the way. ya the 3.9 has 230 hp but it does not have 280 ftlbs :) . also the performance parts for the 3.8 is endless. unlike any of the 8th gen.
^ Very true all around. I drove the LTZ and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it moved, although I did notice a heavy downshift...

Why not go with an 06 or 07 SS? Best of both worlds, and you can find them for reasonable prices these days. You actually could end up spending less on an SS than on an LTZ if you get lucky... CARFAX always...these cars either have problems or don't have problems... right now, mines not as care-free as Id hoped, and looking back at the carfax there was only history through 10000 miles, not the full 30000... but thats why having the warranty is nice.

Like you said, shop around... you will know when you found one you want.. its like marriage only WAY EASIER

·
Banned
117 Posts
Best thing to do is research and test drive different year Impala's.See which one would best fit you and your needs,oh and your budget.You know incase you want to mod the car at all.

My '04 9C1 fit my needs pretty well.So far im quite happy with it.This statement is coming from someone who has owned many Caprice's and Crown Vic's.

Good luck and please let us know what you end up getting :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts