Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, I got some blue "LED bulbs" from Pep Boys. They were cheap and now I think I know why- I used them to replace the bulbs by your feet (the kick plates) and they're ok- they light up nice and blue in the dark like they're supposed to. I liked them so I got a second back (packs of 2) and replaced the bulb in the trunk for the hell of it. This didn't light up AT ALL... it didn't make a difference. it makes sense- larger space to light up and all. So i MIGHT get an LED strip instead just for convenience. I know, you think I'm nuts for trying to put LED's in the TRUNK of all places...

This afternoon I took the LED out of the trunk, grabbed the other and put it in the reading lamp slots in the mirror- once the sun goes down I'll see how this works but I held my hand over it and so far, I don't think it'll be too bright.

I forgot that the overhead Interior light wasn't just a regular bulb (idiot) so I'll be going back to get an LED that fits.

Any tips you guys have for me in terms of brightness? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys :)

I try and do most of my shopping locally and not so much online- I like to be able to go to the parts store and pick up stuff, go home and put it in. Wait time KILLS me. But I guesss I'll give the superbrights a try. thanks!

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
You'll need 7 bulbs, if you wanna do the trunk and have the 2 in the mirror. 9 if you want the plate lights.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You'll need 7 bulbs, if you wanna do the trunk and have the 2 in the mirror. 9 if you want the plate lights.
I'll skip the plate lights- the cops don't like them around where I live- had a couple friends that got pulled over B/

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ouch.... the wedge bulbs are alright, but the Dome lights are mad expensive.... maybe I'll pass on that one for now...

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
post pics when u get a chance i'm anxious to see these
you know it! ;) I got a few pics of my head gasket job and then when I washed it/ put stickers on posted here. Not much done to the interior yet. I'll post when it's a little more than stock lol

·
Registered
913 Posts
I put 2 LED strips in my trunk so I could actually see things in there at night.

Stock POOP lighting

2 Ebay LED strips

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
Alright, here's what I did. I literally stuck the U prongs into the OEM plug and put electrical tape on it to hold. Not bad, IMO. One bar, I think 11" long, but I can't remember.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
looks sick! I'm not sure if I'm gonna get a sub or amps or anything... might leave that till I get an LS someday. The base is cool but there's a lot of stuff I would rather put into an LS. I just found out I'm really not going to have any money for anything.... Insurance is going to be around $250 a month, I need to pay for gas for a total of about 30 mile commute every day of the week for school, AND pay for school/ loans soooo a lot of my car plans just went down to the bottom of the to do list B/

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
looks sick! I'm not sure if I'm gonna get a sub or amps or anything... might leave that till I get an LS someday. The base is cool but there's a lot of stuff I would rather put into an LS. I just found out I'm really not going to have any money for anything.... Insurance is going to be around $250 a month, I need to pay for gas for a total of about 30 mile commute every day of the week for school, AND pay for school/ loans soooo a lot of my car plans just went down to the bottom of the to do list B/
Same here man just keep that to do list around and add to it. Once we got money then that's when the fun begins!

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Same here man just keep that to do list around and add to it. Once we got money then that's when the fun begins!
I'll get an LS someday... I still find it pretty funny how out of my family, I have the newest and most powerful car (not including Dad's '74 Barracuda of course :p)

Mine's 2003, then the Astro van and the Lumina are both '99 I think. the Lumina has a 3.1L and I got a 3.4 :p

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
These are similar to what I use.
4 X White 24 LED Strip Car Lights Flexible Grill Light | eBay

I didn't find these "local" guys till after I bought my LED's and had them shipped from China. They pretty must cost about the same, but would be faster to get them from Brooklyn than China!

I would just shoot them some low offers like $7 to start and see how much cheaper you can get them for.

Ok, good to know! Hell, I could go there and pick them up myself... it's like a half hour drive (plus massive amounts of traffic) lol

I might go rope lighting in the trunk some day- like when I have a sub/ amps. I'm pretty good with building supplies, so I might just make my own sub box and buy speakers and stuff I need.

Which actually reminds me- I notice in the corners of the tunk (towards the bumper) there's like these "indents"- I assume the LS had a premium sound system of some sort and there was something that went in those? How could I get my hands on a stock premium sound system? Because eBay didn't offer many results

·
Registered
913 Posts
Which actually reminds me- I notice in the corners of the tunk (towards the bumper) there's like these "indents"- I assume the LS had a premium sound system of some sort and there was something that went in those? How could I get my hands on a stock premium sound system? Because eBay didn't offer many results
Those "indents" are just the shape of the trunk that goes around the wheel wells. There was never any audio stuff there.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Those "indents" are just the shape of the trunk that goes around the wheel wells. There was never any audio stuff there.
alright, cuz I noted in my friend's 300C that the space was taken up by amps or subs of some sort. I just figured it was the same. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts