Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For my B-day my wife bought me a 1968 Impala 2 door custom coupe with a 327 turbo jet. IMO for a car that is 40+ years off in good condition, from the cars history I’m 90% it’s the OEM engine, it needs a new carb (or me to “clean” to OEM one) but overall it runs pretty well and only have miner body work need. I have a lot of plans as most do but not the information that I need.

I hate to be a newbe and ask such simple questions that my be common knowledge around here but the search function wasn’t doing the job at narrowing the relevant answers down… these are probably just the first few, there will be more to come as the build progresses, Thanks for the help

Q1 – What is the Bolt pattern for the wheels of this car, I will be moving to some larger, wider and generally sportier tire and set of wheels (likely in the sizes from16in-18in’s… never 20’s… Never ever ever 24’s)

Q2 – As I know there are different versions of the 327, what was the HP/TQ ratings of the OEM in the 68?

Q3 – As I stated before, the carb should be replaces… since I’m in there I think I will go head an install this Edelbrock Performer Power Package - 2101PK , it includes
-~- Performer Intake Manifold - part #: 350-3701
-~- Edelbrock Performer 600cfm Carburetor - part #: 350-1406
-~- Performer-Plus Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft & Lifters - part #: 350-2102

- Is there a better item/package available or anything I should worry about if I get this?

Q4 – Is anyone running the Dakota Digital Chevy Impala/ Caprice Digital Instrument System

– the dash needs to be replaced and the OEM cluster is lacking in comparsion to modern car clusters so it would be nice to now that it has been successfully used by other enthuses

Q5 – as the car is 40 years old I will be redoing the suspension, looking in to an air ride, and suggestions or pros and cons of particular brands

Thanks again for the help… I look forward to the discussions

CaStylin

·
Registered
17 Posts
Q1: It should be the same as a camaro (5 x 4 3/4)
Q2: There were many different versions of 327's, the easiest way to get the exact stock HP rating is the locate the casting number on the block of the engine. This should be located behind the drivers side valvecover by the bellhousing. You will most likely need a mirror and a rag to clean it off to be able to see it.
Q3: If you are going to buy the edelbrock performance package just to let you know you will need to pull the engine out in order to properly install the cam just so you dont get in above your head. A 500-600CFM carburetor would work perfectly fine on a 327 and you cant go wrong with the intake. Depending how much you want to spend you could rebuild the engine and give those parts to the shop to install while they're at it.
Q3 and 4 i'm not too sure about, thats above my head.

If anyone here disagrees or has something to add feel free, we're all learning :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the answers 67, I didnt know that the engine needed to come out to install the cam (i realy hadn't look that far into it), I'll get the full kit and probalaby won't install the cam till i do something more indepth that also require the engine out. I do have a 2 ton engine hoist and a couple engine stands so getting it out shouldn't be an issue.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I didn't pull my engine to do the cam, I know mine is a 78 but it shouldn't matter. I pulled the distributor and jacked the front of the engine up, the cam cleared just fine. I have been eyeballing that gauge cluster, but I can't afford one for awhile, and I don't know anyone who has one. Ditto on the 5 on 4 3/4 bolt pattern, just mind the backspacing. Turn your wheels all the way to lock and check how much room you have between the tire and your frame or suspension parts, this will help you determine how wide of a wheel you can use. The wider the better. Though it is a matter of personal preference, I think 18"s would look best. Just the right size to fill out the wheel well without looking retarded.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Again thanks for the help,

I was looking at some 18x8’s but with out someone to school me on backspacing and width I fear to make that investment at close to $500 a wheel for the first two shown below. I also want to bag the car as mentioned before so they have to be able to completly tuck into the wheelwell

As an FYI, All of the wheels listed below are from Centerline wheels. Each are made to order (custom backspace and width) and uses one piece forged aluminum which helps on weight as well as adds strength…

Here are some picks of the style I’m considering right now

BILLET SERIES -SOFT TAIL - black

BILLET SERIES -SOFT TAIL - polished

LEGEND SERIES - RETRO

COMPETITION SERIES - SPLIT SPOKE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts