Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 ss only has around 20k unmolested miles. It is currently in storage at my parents house 6 hours away. When i go home to get it out for spring i plan on installing raiss, Home plate removal, flowmaster catback system and putting the proper rear end gasket in the pumpkin. I only got the car in august and i put it away in november so im not too used to it. My question is occasionally it would pull to the right a tad bit and also occasionally when turning all the way like cutting fast to turn into a parking spot or get outta the way of something on the road there would be a loud bang. Any suggestions on what to have checked out while its still at home with all my dads tools, before i bring it back to maryland where im toolless and unsure of quality mechanics. I have checked the tire pressure many times, and im thinkin its due fore a allignment and tire rotation. Should there be any play in the front wheels? Thanks for any of your help.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
The occasional pulling and the loud "bang" sound may be a ball joint or tie rod. These I generally recommend having an alignment shop take care of. One you will need an alignment anyway and if it is a ball joint the front springs are not easy to work with without a lift and good jack stands.

·
Registered
3 Posts
...about the "play in the front wheels"..., there should not be any.

As 77 suggests have a qualified Suspension/Alignment shop look at it. Given the low milage "generally" the front end parts should be in good shape.

You may also have droped some shims off the upper control arm.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Mileage is too low for ball joint failure but its possible. There is something more people overlook on these cars, behind the spindle there is a small patch/strip of metal. It is referred as a "turn stop" and is subject to metal to metal contact at full turn of the steering wheel. Take a small amount of grease and apply it the the part of the spindle that contacts it as well as directly on that turn stop. Your noise will likely go away.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help fellas i'll be sure to check those things out when i go home. I did forget to mention that the play in the front wheels seems to be coming from what i believe is called the center link, any tips on that? Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts