Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this website, but not new to Impalas. My 2003 has almost a quarter of a million miles and all I've ever done is change the oil regularly and bought tires and brakes! Now looking for a newer (2008 and up) Impala, and will give the 2003 to my grandaughter. One question: Is there any way to remove the plastic lens cover from the front headlamp assembly? I tried using one of those kits to remove scratches, but it looks like the inside of the lens is either scratched or has moisture covering it.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Welcome!

Some have had success in baking them in the oven at low temp to soften the seals, then the lens can be pried off. It is very time consuming though, and everyone I have talked to that did it would never do so again.

·
Apex Everything
2,939 Posts
welcome! while you can bake the headlamps and pry the lenses off, everyone I know who has tried and a hard time getting them to re-seal, and with warping. if your looking for a 2008 and up, the 2012's are supposed to be marked don, and have the new aluminum 3.6/6 speed, so you'll get more power, better fuel economy and not have the fragile 4 speed used until '12

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
x2

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum!

Now let's talk business....

As far as the headlights go, I think it's best to just spring for a new set instead of opening it up. Here's why...if you open it, it may or may not be repairable. When you go to reseal it, it may not seal properly and will for sure have moisture problems. A new set looks good and is all set to go.

$90 for a new set. Might even be able to negotiate to $80-$85

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-00-05-C...:Impala|Year:2005&hash=item58988806a0&vxp=mtr

As far as a replacement, it is my strong suggestion to get a 2012 or 2013 because the mechanics seem to be significantly more reliable. We're talkin about $20k-$25k here for a loaded LTZ. Not too shabby.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts