Impala Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that Trump has changed the cafe requirements , and cadillacs can turn off auto stop

will chevy load new software so that 2.5 engines will be given a choice to run auto stop or not ? :eek:

·
Super Moderator
10,949 Posts
Does it affect performance? How is saving gas an issue? Just wondering because my car doesn't have that feature

If you've ever driven a car with this feature on it, it rates right up there with screaming/puking kids in the back seat as far as annoyance goes.

You start your car to drive to work and if your stuck in traffic, go 40 feet stop go 40 feet stop go 40 feet stop etc, the engine has shut off and started this many times and will continue to do so. In that situation you may have saved 1 cup of gas ( being generous ). The wear and tear on your starter and flywheel would be hard to measure but safe to say that it's considerable "wear" nevertheless.

If this feature was disabled you would start your car once to go to work (or wherever) and shut it off. With this bloody thing on you've started it 20 or 30 times or more on the same trip.
Imagine that over the life of the car, especially if you constantly drive in heavy traffic.

If they put in a "button" to disable this feature for those that don't want it, like some manufacturers to, then that would be fine, but to not give you the option is a deal breaker for me.

I know that I may/will not have the choice soon, but until then I aint gonna drink that kool-aid.

Rant over

PS
The only car I've driven with the option to shut that off is Mercedes and I cant afford one of them, either to buy or to maintain.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Can't even imagine what that's going to do to starters, flywheels......
I doubt GM etc give a damn.
The greenie weenie inmates have taken over the asylum. GM et al have "reluctantly given in to these demands" because it wears out the machinery faster and they believe they'll sell more new units because of it... you have to pull the transmission to change the starter on some of these abominations.
You may be able to kill it by setting the AC on MAX or pulling a lot of juice from the battery.
I set a rental Buick in L and selected 6th gear and that seemed to work... I seem to remember something re-setting the gear selection to 1 more often than when I shut it off. That became almost more annoying than the engine shutting off at every bloody stop.
Can HP Tuners kill it?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
i rank that feature up there with a 2011 cruze transmission going to a "neutral-like state" at stop lights most of the time. so when you let off the brake you feel it clunk into gear again....and if you're too quick it bumps into gear harder as you've already applied throttle before it gets fully into gear...just stupid if you ask me.

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
I hate all of these types of "features". I even went as far as disabling "DFCO" (Deceleration Fuel Cut Off) in my 2012 tune because I hated the way it acted in certain situations (like exiting the highway) - all to save such a small amount of fuel that I don't even notice the difference without it. This stuff is more problems than it's worth (in my opinion). It hardly ever activates anyway, so it's not like it really saves much fuel anyway (at least not in my experience with it). For the longest time, I thought it was the transmission shifting funny when it was really DFCO... I would exit the highway and near the end of the on-ramp, the RPMs would shoot up for a brief second (DFCO activating) and then fall right back down a second or two later (DFCO deactivating).. Drove me nuts until I figured out what it actually was...

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Simple solution, don't buy a car with that option.
We had a 2013 Malibu ECO with the auto stop start and we liked it. Was a little strange to get used to at first but didn't bother us at all after that.

Ours had the big lithium battery in the trunk and had a electric motor/generator that would start it which may be why it was so smooth as compared to the others with just an extra little motorcycle style battery and a heavy duty starter.
I would buy one again although I do prefer the extra space of the Impala over it now.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Friends of mine just bought a Chevy Traverse with this option. They told me that the mileage was around 35 in town, which ain't bad for a vehicle of that size. That being said, I doubt they even considered the ramifications of the option and will trade it off in a year or so and some other poor schumk will inherit the problem.
A way to disable the "feature", by hook or crook is the answer. Would't it be crazy if it was something simple like a fuse or relay removal. I'm guessing probably not. A bit like traction control, if you don't want it don't buy it.

·
Super Moderator
10,949 Posts
Its getting harder to find a new vehicle that does not have the feature on it to buy. Maybe a Lada or some of the Korean stuff but not sure on those either. It may be mandated to have it .
I am sure that someone will come up with a way to disable it.
Pretty sure that the dealer could do it with their Tech II tool (or whatever the flavour of the day is for those things), however the eco cops would find out about it and executions would no doubt follow for such an egregious offence.
Its pretty much covered the entire FCI line with the exception of the old body style Caravan etc. GM has it on near everything now as well and I know that Ford sedans all have it. Not sure about their SUV/Crossover vehicles.

Darn
I said the rant was over.

OK
Now it is.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
i rank that feature up there with a 2011 cruze transmission going to a "neutral-like state" at stop lights most of the time. so when you let off the brake you feel it clunk into gear again....and if you're too quick it bumps into gear harder as you've already applied throttle before it gets fully into gear...just stupid if you ask me.
[OT] Do you find the Cruze seems to take an extra bit of time to engage when you shift it (from P to R, or R to D, etc)? I find myself getting impatient with it. But I wait it out not wanting to bang it when it does engage.

Doug

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Its getting harder to find a new vehicle that does not have the feature on it to buy.
It seems like I read somewhere that it can be disabled, but I'm not sure whether or not it was an Impala or even a Chevy. But I remember reading that, at least in some cases, it can be disabled.

Doug

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
[OT] Do you find the Cruze seems to take an extra bit of time to engage when you shift it (from P to R, or R to D, etc)? I find myself getting impatient with it. But I wait it out not wanting to bang it when it does engage.

Doug

I and others on the forum find the shifting of the cruze very lazy. That shift into gear is slow for me as well. I honestly think the shift logic they’re using is trying so hard for economy it makes things much worse. If i have to start daily driving that car a programmer from bnr or another brand (same ones that do canned tunes for impalas i forget their names right now) is a must.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
It seems the L83 5.3L in the Suburban hasn't succumbed to this nonsense. GM just added two more gears... going from six forward gears to eight moving from the 6L80 to the 8L90. This change bumped the fuel mileage significantly. I have gotten real-world 28 highway MPG with the L83/M5U driveline in a 2018 2wd Suburban full of tools and parts.
The development of more forward gears costs more money so GM resorts to these half-baked gimmicks on the lower price point vehicles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you dont like it that much why did you purchase the car with it? ijs I rented a 2017 impala with that same engine and it was my 1st experience with that feature and it took some getting use too!! I loved the 500+ miles on a full tank but the cutting off and starting at every stop was rough.. lol Ill pass

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
If you dont like it that much why did you purchase the car with it?
Exactly. Do people not check out cars before they buy them anymore?

·
Registered
329 Posts
As for being able to turn it off, my 2017 F150 3.5 Ecoboost truck has a deactivate button, but it defaults back to on when you turn the key off. So, usually I don't remember it until the first stop sign I come to. It's a nuisance, but at least it has one.

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
It seems like I read somewhere that it can be disabled, but I'm not sure whether or not it was an Impala or even a Chevy. But I remember reading that, at least in some cases, it can be disabled.

Doug

There is a module bypass that I purchased for our 2017 Buick Envision, and it works flawlessly. It was 139 bucks. I know that they are working on one for the Impala. Currently, many GM models are covered, and I know that one for the 4-cylinder Impala is on its way. Easy plug-and-play installation with no reprogramming of ECM or PCM. Really clever idea. One of the best 139 bucks I ever spent.

Check out: www.smartstartstop.com

I ordered it on a Sunday and it arrived on Wednesday via Priority Mail. Took 10 minutes to install with nothing more than a flat head screwdriver. It could have taken 5 minutes but I wanted it to be a very neat install.

Reactions: plano-doug
1 - 19 of 19 Posts