Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed that my car is not blowing nice cold air anymore =(
I set it for cold, push the AC button, the light comes on and... blow ambient temperature air at me...
I do not hear the compressor kick on (as I normally would) but the light comes on?
I'd figure the light wouldn't come on in this situation.

Is there fuse to check? Where?
Anything else I can do/try before bringing my car to a shop?
2006 Impala SS

I appreciate any insight you may be able to bestow upon me.

Kind Regard,

-JDT

·
Registered
329 Posts
You might want to watch the AC compressor while someone else turns the AC on to see if is engaging the clutch. I had an '08 3.9l Impala that the bolt attaching the clutch to the compressor shaft sheared off, letting the clutch cover falling off. Your SS probably has the same compressor.

·
Registered
408 Posts
There should be an a/c relay. If you have verified the compressor is not actually spinning, I would try replacing the relay. If the replacement relay doesn't work, you could also put a jumper in where the relay is temporarily, to see if that turns on the compressor. If it turns it on, then something before the relay is not sending the signal properly (possibly low pressure). If it doesn't, you have an electrical issue after the relay (bad clutch solenoid, wiring issue, etc).

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
With the a/c commanded on, may try carefully tapping the a/c pulley/face with a broomstick, etc. to see if it pulls in. If it does, air gap is out of adjustment.

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you lost refrigerant because of a leak, watching for A/C compressor clutch to engage will not do you any good. There is a low pressure switch in the system which will not allow the A/C compressor clutch to engage if static refrigerant pressure is too low. The best way is to use gauges on both low and high side and see what the static pressure is with the engine not running. You should see at least 50 psi on both the low and high side in a fully charged system without the engine running. If the system operates as it should, the high side pressure with engine running and A/C compressor clutch engaged should fluctuate between 250 to 300 psi and the low pressure side fluctuates between 25 and 45 psi or so.

Years ago, a piece of gravel or something similar hit the A/C condenser on my 1998 Nissan Maxima and I lost all of the refrigerant. The car was still under warranty but mechanical damage like this was not covered and my comprehensive insurance coverage had a 500 dollar deductible and the repair was a bit less than that so i ended up paying for the whole repair.

·
Registered
31 Posts
He said that the A/C light is coming on - if there was a low pressure situation, it would blink a couple times then go off.

Still need to check the pressure though. There can be enough to make the system engage, but on a hot day it just won't cool. Not much anyhow.

·
Registered
31 Posts
BTW - has anyone ever found an actual drawing showing the location of the TXV and/or the filter? I've gone through every page of the factory service manuals I can find.... nothing!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks! Haven't seen that page before.
Happen to know if the inline filter is at the base of the condenser where a lot of them are?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts