Impala Forums banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I posted about having put the wrong Chevy key in my ignition in my 2000 Impala and then after which the correct key with no longer turn. Found a way to get that lock cylinder out but haven't had time lately to get back to it till today. I bought a new lock cylinder and switch and put it in but unlike others I've done in the past this one will not go through the learning process where are the security light blinks for about 10 minutes. I have tried it a few times but it does nothing, any ideas why, what might be preventing this from working?
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2009 Impala SS
1,557 Posts
The Gen VII Impala is Passlock 2. The Passlock 2 keys have a magnet that's read by the hall effect sensor in the ignition switch. I assume you've tried a 2.2K resistor in the Passlock 2 wiring.
You may need to kick the BCM & ECM in the head using a Tech2.
If you were in Northern NH or ME & VT near here I'd offer to plug in with my Tech2. The SAAB guys had a Tech2 finder in the Tech2 Wiki but apparently GM or some greenie weenie busybody managed to find a regulator willing to misuse the EU GPDR law to shut it down.

The Tahoe Yukon forum has a tiny list of guys willing to help with a Tech2. There's one in St Louis and at least one in Oklahoma. I don't see anyone in Nebraska, Iowa, Arkansas, or Kansas and nobody listed in midstate or Western Missouri.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Gen VII Impala is Passlock 2. The Passlock 2 keys have a magnet that's read by the hall effect sensor in the ignition switch. I assume you've tried a 2.2K resistor in the Passlock 2 wiring.
You may need to kick the BCM & ECM in the head using a Tech2.
If you were in Northern NH or ME & VT near here I'd offer to plug in with my Tech2. The SAAB guys had a Tech2 finder in the Tech2 Wiki but apparently GM or some greenie weenie busybody managed to find a regulator willing to misuse the EU GPDR law to shut it down.

The Tahoe Yukon forum has a tiny list of guys willing to help with a Tech2. There's one in St Louis and at least one in Oklahoma. I don't see anyone in Nebraska, Iowa, Arkansas, or Kansas and nobody listed in midstate or Western Missouri.
Hey I appreciate that in depth idea explanation, unfortunately I really dont understand what all that is. Lol
Not sure what the problem is, I've replaced the ignition switch on these cars before, including this very car, and with the new part from the same outfit and never had a problem, and only one didnt start after the first 10 min sequence, actually took three tries. Something else that's different, with this new switch as soon as I open the door I'm getting that "ding ding ding" like you get when you put the key in the ignition, any idea why that would be?? This has me stumped. All this started cuz I mistakenly tried to start it with my Astro key, after which the correct key would no longer turn. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2009 Impala SS
1,557 Posts
The ding ding ding with the key out and the driver door open tells me that the "hey dummy you left the key in the ignition" switch in the igntion switch module is somehow jammed in the key inserted position.

Take the ignition lock cylinder out of the switch and take a look inside to see what might be fouled up.
With our brave new world of devil may care Chinese suppliers... it's not impossible that the lock cylinder isn't machined properly and it's pushing on the key inserted switch button even with the key out of the lock cylinder.
Another possibility is the key inserted switch button might have some fudd that's jamming it in the inserted position without the lock cylinder present in the switch bore.
Don't know til you look.

If the key inserted switch is fouled up in your switch module the Passlock 2 Hall Effect pickup coil might have a problem too.
Supposedly you can bypass your Passlock 2 with a 2.2KΩ resistor. I've never done this so take it for what it's worth.
This is a Gen VII Pontiac W Body essentially the same car under the skin as your Impala. This guy is using a Cinch screw block to install the resistor. I'd install it with solder and heatshrink.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts