Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 impala has a problem that first it will slow crank and then start,today slow start then no start.i tried to jump it,that didnt work so next I tried the fuse box by hot wiring the 87 prong to the 30 prong..I got clicks out of it but no turning of the engine.. couldnt find the starter to give it a clunk, so I called it a day..anybody good advice?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
i'd probably start with getting the battery over to the local parts store for a free test. sounds like it might be getting weak? when you get it running i'd get to the parts for a free alternator test to see that it is charging like it's supposed to. when you jumped it, did it roll over any faster after you let it charge for 3 or 4 minutes?

really i'd start with the battery. check there isn't corrosion under the terminals and if there is get rid of it by cleaning it out well. i may have seen similar threads to yours talking about the battery cables needing to be replaced on these forums but i don't remember (it's been a while so someone else would need to chime in).battery would be my first suspect though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I didnt give it a 4 min charge lady was in a rush.also it is really cold outside, maybe the temp has a role to play?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
The cold plays havoc ona battery. Which is probably why they have the rating of cold cranking Amp is on them. Typically they seem to fail in the winter because of the cold temps for my location. I would get that battery tested asap, it's probably a big contributer if not your root cause. At the very least a great place to start. Of that starter isn't getting enough juice to roll over it would cause a slow roll over condition as you described.

I had one fail in -40 wind chill. I had never seen a car act that way electrically until that day. Lights came on but no crank, then no lights at all. Put a new battery in and same thing. Waited a while later in the day tried it again and it slow rolled until it fired, ran rough for a minute cleared out. Let it idle for 30 minutes to build juice then drive for another 45 to put a charge in the battery. Was good after that. I also found a lot of corrosion on the terminals that probably led to the failure in the first place. In case you don't know the corrosion is the green or white flakey stuff around the battery posts (not trying to be insulting but i don't know your mechanic skills over the internet). Hope this helps.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Yep, gotta agree with the above. Have the battery load tested. Even with a jump in the cold sometimes if a battery is too weak the car will still not start, have seen this with dead cells. Ignition and fuel delivery also rely on a good charge and if it the battery is not delivering enough the slow roll and no start is not uncommon, especially when it is cold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts