Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to figure out an issue I've been having with my 1996 Caprice. It is an Lt1 car. The problem is that everytime the engine warms up you can not restart it because it cranks very slowly. If you let it cool down for a bit it will start right up. I have cleaned and checked the negative battery cable and replace the positive one. I replaced the starter with a new one as well but that only seemed to fix it for a little while. Has anyone had a problem like this before? Could this be something that is bad with the ignition system that the starter is fighting the timing when the car is warm? It seems to run ok from cold to warm and I have no codes. Any help anyone can give me on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Have you had the battery checked? I have seen where a older battery cannot produce enough juice to restart a hot engine. The starter does get warm in the location it is at and if the battery is weak it may not have enough to over come the heat soak on the starter until it can cool off a while.

Also corroded cables can be a problem. These are the areas I would check first, battery and then the cables. And since replacing the starter did fix it for a while there is a possibility that the starter may be bad again specially if it was a remanufactured unit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to mention that I did have the battery load tested and it passed. I have cleaned and tested all of the grounds in the engine compartment as well. I bought an ACDelco starter but I guess that doesn't really mean anything...

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
How long ago on the load test? And who did it? Reason I ask is I have seen Walmart tell the customer that the battery is good when it was not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts