Impala Forums banner

slow coolant lost?

14K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Stephen 
#1 ·
OK, I think I am pretty convinced that my 08 impala LS (57K, 3.5L flex) is leaking coolant somewhere slowly.

When I got the car ~40 days ago, the coolant was a tad low but couldn't see any sign of leaking at all so I said what the hell...Filled it up and see. But in these 40 days and 3000 miles, I have already added at least another 0.5 qt to keep it at the right level. With such extensive driving (I commute 63 miles one way each week day at 70 mph), I am sure any air should have gone long time ago. But today it's lower than the cold mark again at cold and only slightly higher than the cold mark when I arrived.

I am going to have the dealership checked it up to see if it's something covered by powertrain. But I want to ask your opinion on this. Do you think this is too much of coolant loss? Have you seen anything similar on our cars? I am victim of the intake gasket leak on a 96 Bonneville. I took me some time to replace it myself and I really don't want another internal leak episode, especially on such a new car. Thank you very much!

#3 ·
Head gasket at 08 57k! slow coolant lost

OK, it's the head gasket and covered by 100k powertrain. But why, :mad::mad::mad::mad: GM !!! Head gasket at 57k?

It leaks on one side, externally. They only agreed to replace the side that's leaking, even with a lot of push from my side. That makes me worried somehow...

#5 ·
They are working on it and they will replace both if they find the other side is also leaking. But for the moment, they will only do one side.

Well, to me, even if they use the same material, they should replace both side. This is not an uncommon problem, as I found out. GM actually issued a TSB for 3.5L for head gasket (08-06-01-012). So I worry that the other side is also on the way out because of GM's superfast wear and tear...

Anyway, hope everything goes well. I am really mad at GM and pretty much lost all my faith with it. They built a great engine, then again uses something cheap to save them 50c and causes huge trouble. Again this is not just my car. So guys be careful. Hope it's not a bigger episode of another gm coolant leaking story.

#7 ·
my 3.4 was leaking out of the intake by the thermostat and my head was leaking by my front left head bolt by my water pump. my valve cover is facing me when i look at my engine. some 3.8s sit the other way. i resurfaced my heads and cleaned everything. new head bolts with thread sealant and the proper torque fixed it up. thats on an 03. the dex-cool has been said to cause it but i cant prove it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.