Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2006 impala with 70k miles on it. It's a 3.5. The only work I have done on it when I got it at about 65k miles was replacing a shift solenoid because when it would go to shift into second gear, it would shift to neutral. I did an oil change, transmission fluid change (drained not flushed) and tranny filter replacement. However, now I believe I have some slight engine surging going on. When I accelerate to cruising speed (whatever the speed limit may be) and then let off the gas and only accelerate lightly to maintain speed, periodically I will see the rpms jump a hundred or two hundred. It happens real quickly, usually 3 or 4 jumps in a row. Also when I accelerate from a stop light and keep the rpms at 2000, the car just doesn't drive smooth. It's hard to explain but it feels like it struggles a little bit like it has a surge of power. The only way I can describe it is I can feel it jump forward a bit like when you have cruise control on and the computer tells it to speed up a little bit then lets off the accelerator when it achieves the set speed. Now I've heard people saying to clean the MAF and throttle body to help but do you guys think that would really do it? I'm really confused here and I know these cars don't have the best tranny so I can't tell if this is an engine or transmission problem.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Have you had it scanned for any codes?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
does it do it whit out the cruise? how long did you did the trans?
in the 2005 impala I did the trans. for the shift solenoid.at 55 the rpm was jumping to 1400 to 1700 rpm it was the trans.he replace the valve body and it got worst it had a hard shift it feels like some one hit me in ever gear. after 5 attempts to fix the trans I got a jasper trans.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't had it scanned for any codes yet. No lights show up on the cluster. I was gonna spend the 6 dollars or so on MAF cleaner and clean the MAF sensor tomorrow and the throttle body to see if it gets any better. The housing for the air filter is missing a clamp and it allows a little gap where the air filter is and I'm thinking that could contribute to a dirty throttle body / MAF sensor. Could be wrong though.

And Volume, I'm assuming you mean at what mileage did I do the solenoid change at? I did it at about 65k when i got it. I'm starting to worry that this will turn into a transmission problem. Yes it does it without the cruise control on under light acceleration. I've also read it could be a torque converter issue?

Thanks for all of the quick replies guys.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If anyone else has a similar problem, my transmission just slipped so hopefully it doesn't call for a new tranny and is something quick to fix if the problem persists.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this same exact problem. Im surprised I saw this thread finally as everyone I have talked about it has never heard of it. This is my second Impala with a surging trans problem (previous 2001 was a bit different).

I have a 2006 LT 3.9L. It will 'surge' a few times everytime the accelerator lays off (downhill, etc). I cannot get it to repeat without cruise control on. I have no codes or idiot lights. Mine occurs essentially EVERY time the cruise is set and the acclerator is off. Almost feels like the trans lost the throttle signal (and accelerator signal is guessing) but this car has an integrated throttle position sensor on the throttle body so replacement is significantly more expensive when I dont know that it will solve the problem.

I also have an intermittent delay and then clunk when taking off from a rolling stop (and rarely from a regular stop). It almost feels like it didnt release high gear and re-engage low gear or its stuck going into gear and then it slams in. I am not sure if this is related to the above issue or not.

If anyone has any insight it would be very helpful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts