Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so im having real bad slipping problems with the 04 base imp. Im planning on going to the wrecking yard to get me a tranny so i can rebuild... So my question is if anyone know at all what sizes of sockets will i need to take out the tranny..... Please help :bang:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do but its not to organized that well...

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
When is the last time the trans fluid and filter been replaced? Or is it way past that point? If so, I would drop the cash on a triple edge if you plan to keep for a while. No sense in rebuilding a weak trans.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
IIRC, 10mm 13mm 15mm 18mm, 21mm for the strut to hub knuckle bolts, 34mm axle nut, a big hammer, and a flathead screwdriver. I may be missing a couple things, but I think thats about it. Sockets AND wrenches.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I replaced the fluid and the filter about a little more 6months ago... I know I have all the tools I just wanted to know exactly what I needed.... Also what is a triple edge??

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Triple Edge Performance, he builds 4T65 transmissions, and is the very best at it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Triple edge looks like a good company but I can built it faster and money wise it's not too bad but I'm on a real tight budget...

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
When your on a tight budget junkyard is you friend. I recommend checking the fluid (if any left), wiring, mileage, and condition of vehicle (mechanical that is). Check condition of belts, plug wires, etc. Chances are if average maint wasn't done then, trans maint wasn't done either. Honestly I wouldn't trust a junkyard trans but, if you plan on rebuilding anyways, you have the opportunity to fully inspect and replace parts that are needed. Still you may be way too deep into a stock trans. You might as well go with hardend input/output shaft/4th clutch, and single chain at bare minimum. Not to mention replacing all solenoids and switches. No sense in doing it half a$$, no offense.d

I am NOT real familiar with the 3.4 bases so, not really sure what your options are. But, it should have the 4t65-e if I am not mistaken. Therefor at minimum I would buy or upgrade a 65-e to a 65-e HD. It will cost a bit more but, you might as well do it while it's out. It also depends on what you plan on doing to the car. If you eventually plan on doing a 3.8 S/C swap or think you may sometime then, I would go for the HD. It all depends on how much "in love" you are with your car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts