Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so after lots of searching, I found a set up I kind of like. A video on you tube had a ImpalaSS with a single Dynomax bullet muffler and dual pipes out. (another vid of the same car showed a single pipe though too) So my question is would going with a single muffler hurt performance or fuel econmy versus staying with 2 mufflers, and would 2 mufflers make it sound any diff from just haveing the single muffler?

·
Registered
234 Posts
OK, so after lots of searching, I found a set up I kind of like. A video on you tube had a ImpalaSS with a single Dynomax bullet muffler and dual pipes out. (another vid of the same car showed a single pipe though too) So my question is would going with a single muffler hurt performance or fuel econmy versus staying with 2 mufflers, and would 2 mufflers make it sound any diff from just haveing the single muffler?
you probably won't notice too much of a difference in anything really even though on a dyno you might have a few different numbers, but i would think nothing substantial. I would just go with duals so it looks better

·
Registered
290 Posts
Lots of Camaros used a single muffler with dual outlets. My 454 pickup uses a single muffler but with both dual in and dual out! Best case would be a true dual setup with an x or h pipe crossover. If the SS is like my 3.9 then the down pipes merge into one cat and then split again into 2 mufflers. Might as well stay with one pipe to one muffler and then dual out saving $100 on another muffler.

·
SadiStic Impala
2,457 Posts
get used to all the veiws and no responses. haha. and i know what vid your talkin about, that car sounds so mean. but imma just go with a cutout, so itll basically sound about the exact same. and i can make it quiter if i want.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW!!! Two responses!! lol, Im used to lots of views, lots of responses, when I was on Corall forums for my stang. I went with some Flowmasters. Prob shouldntve but I did, im a very impatient person lol...took the car to the muffler shop while the ol lady was sleeping.....hehehe!!! Thinking of the high flow cats and a down pipe now...so anyone that views this, it would be appreciated if you responded.....give your two cents....since thats what this site is suppose to be about, people helping people!!!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
WOW!!! Two responses!! lol, Im used to lots of views, lots of responses, when I was on Corall forums for my stang. I went with some Flowmasters. Prob shouldntve but I did, im a very impatient person lol...took the car to the muffler shop while the ol lady was sleeping.....hehehe!!! Thinking of the high flow cats and a down pipe now...so anyone that views this, it would be appreciated if you responded.....give your two cents....since thats what this site is suppose to be about, people helping people!!!!
I know that hogan downpipe sounds mean. maybe look into that as well. If it was me and I didn't mind spending some cash I would go with the hogan downpipe, the full magnaflow, and an electric cutout haha. I heard a cutout in person on an 08 SS the other night and it sounded amazing

·
SadiStic Impala
2,457 Posts
Yeah. I mean if you got the money to blow. Do it. but if your tight on money. Just get a cutout.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im going to have to look in to the down pipe and cut out thing. Makeing it sound loud while driveing around town, and making it quiet while the family is in the car sounds pretty sweet :headbang:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Im going to have to look in to the down pipe and cut out thing. Makeing it sound loud while driveing around town, and making it quiet while the family is in the car sounds pretty sweet :headbang:
ya exactly that was my thought. and in fact you could just get some cool exhaust "cans?" instead of just the tips and then you also wouldnt be spending the $600 or so on a full exhaust kit. The tips are kinda lame if your picky about a good looking exhaust and im sure you could find a good deal. If you did that with the electric cutout it would probably be the best for the money. I would have done that if I didn't know how good it really sounded with one

1 - 11 of 11 Posts