Impala Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Chevy Impala Police - 85k miles
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to get the computer to stop showing the TPMS light? I have dead sensors and don't care enough to pay the money to replace them. It's just annoying that every time I start the car I need to click away the TPMS warning to have the instrument cluster show a digital speedometer. I know I can pull the bulb but that doesn't stop the cluster from showing the message.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Is there any way to get the computer to stop showing the TPMS light? I have dead sensors and don't care enough to pay the money to replace them. It's just annoying that every time I start the car I need to click away the TPMS warning to have the instrument cluster show a digital speedometer. I know I can pull the bulb but that doesn't stop the cluster from showing the message.
Itd be less hassle just to replace them. They're cheap. I dont think you can disable them. But I'm not 100% sure on that.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Also, pretty sure its illegal to disable the TPMS

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Itd be less hassle just to replace them. They're cheap. I dont think you can disable them. But I'm not 100% sure on that.
I tried buying sensors on ebay for cheap and bringing them with me to Costco when I got new tires but the tech would only install them if they were purchased there. I'm willing to pay the $30 or so for 4 new sensors from ebay but not the ~$50 a sensor that Costco was charging. All 4 need to be replaced.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I tried buying sensors on ebay for cheap and bringing them with me to Costco when I got new tires but the tech would only install them if they were purchased there. I'm willing to pay the $30 or so for 4 new sensors from ebay but not the ~$50 a sensor that Costco was charging. All 4 need to be replaced.
If you shop around, you should be able to get them intsalled, including re-balalnce, for ~20 bucks a corner, I would think.

Doug

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the Costco price include the installation? $20 per wheel isn't all that bad, if they re-balance them before reinstalling on the car.

Doug

It would of been $50+ (somewhere between $45-75) per sensor X4 - meaning $200 plus. Wouldn't of had to pay for installation as I was already getting new tires. Doesn't bother me enough to spend $200+ on it.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
It would of been $50+ (somewhere between $45-75) per sensor X4 - meaning $200 plus. Wouldn't of had to pay for installation as I was already getting new tires. Doesn't bother me enough to spend $200+ on it.
Sorry. I caught my mistake, and re-posted, but you were too quick :)

That said, I've paid $60 for one installed, but I agree, I'd want to save some money doing all 4, too .

Doug

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discount mounted mine for free when I bought my new wheels.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
24 Posts
TPMS valve/sensors are tied in to the ABS braking system. If you pull the fuse you lose the ABS. TPMS was mandated because people don't keep their vehicles maintained. Low tire pressure will cause a vehicle to sway and pull, and this could lead to accidents. Because of these lazy vehicle owners, the government mandated that those of us who check the pressure monthly, has to pay also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TPMS valve/sensors are tied in to the ABS braking system. If you pull the fuse you lose the ABS. TPMS was mandated because people don't keep their vehicles maintained. Low tire pressure will cause a vehicle to sway and pull, and this could lead to accidents. Because of these lazy vehicle owners, the government mandated that those of us who check the pressure monthly, has to pay also.
So to make sure that I'm understanding you correctly: you can't pull the fuse or it'll also shut off the ABS, but if the TPMS sensors are all dead but the fuse is still in the ABS will still work fine? I check my tires pressure every few weeks. Don't need big government mandating even more sensors that die after a few years 🙄

·
Registered
26 Posts
So to make sure that I'm understanding you correctly: you can't pull the fuse or it'll also shut off the ABS, but if the TPMS sensors are all dead but the fuse is still in the ABS will still work fine? I check my tires pressure every few weeks. Don't need big government mandating even more sensors that die after a few years 🙄
Also, I recall reading that a rotation difference between a worn and new tire can signal a differential, thus triggering the system. I believe some systems use the comparison of wheel rotations to theorize a tire of being low on air (I don't think your type does that since pressure is directly measured). Unmatched tires on 4WD and AWD can create "binding" problems too. Such a can of worms this all opens - and then they want to make autonomous vehicles.

You can do it yourself, but you would have to break the bead, r&r the TPMS, re-learn the TPMS and hope the be one is within 1/4 oz. weight for balancing. Technology :\

1 - 11 of 11 Posts