1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I keep it?
2006 Impala 9C1 3.9L
What I had to replace every since I bought it in the past 3-4 months were:

Starter, map sensor, thermostat, maf sensor, oil sensor, coolant sensor, throttle body unit & sensor, waterpump, pcm/ecm, brakes & routers, radiator fan, and camshaft. Total estimated to be: 2.5-3K including mechanic fees.

Oh yeah the shop that sold me this is going to hear alot.
Half the time when I was unsigned up to this forum I would look on this forums for alot of technical solutions and half of the people barely know what they are talking about.
Not saying that's most of the reason for my repairs either just my rant.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Why did you buy a car with that many problems within 3-4 months?

·
Super Moderator
10,955 Posts
"Not Most" of the reason for your repairs ???
Really ?

Can you point to some advice you got here that actually caused a problem? "specifically " I would like to go to that positing and delete it, or them, if there is more than one

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Not Most" of the reason for your repairs ???
Really ?

Can you point to some advice you got here that actually caused a problem? "specifically " I would like to go to that positing and delete it, or them, if there is more than one
Actually to be fair so it isn't perceived that I'm here to shame or blame anyone lol. In otherwords, I search google Impala clicks when starting. I get this website and a few people saying its the battery when it's the starter. (It could be). I went with first heart that starter was my issue. Sorry it seemed that way.

Now journey now is my code reader reads p0171 bank 1 being too lean.
Something dealing with the o2 sensors, a vacuum leak, intake manifold gaskets.. wish my piece of sh*t luck thanks ?

·
Registered
588 Posts
This Forum and most forums are here as a way for people with like interests, trying to help one another with thoughts about things they Enjoy... In this case. Impala's in some is a Passion and others just a car to get them to a to b... Some care about the cars. Some don't...

First for your Post Question!!! Should you keep your Car!>? Well the Answer is if it was my car I would Keep it! However seeing it isn't my car and from the post seems that your VERY unhappy with your Choice of CAR you bought. (No one on here made you Buy and Ex Police car) I would say pass it off to someone that could find some happiness in it... I mean it is an EX Police car... How hard is it to know that even a Police car with with little miles would more then LIKELY Have 5 to 10 times that amount of hours on the Cars Clock... So say your car has 60k miles, It is a good idea that your car has 300 to 600K hours on the motor just idle. It isn't unheard of people buying a ex police car with 28k miles on the OD and already needing the motor rebuilt...

Then you post all the things that you have paid others to try and fix your car.. Saying you have x,y and z things replaced off looking over the internet and people from reading these forums and have the feeling people don't know what they are talking about... (That kind of confuses me, shops don't really need someone to tell them what needs to be fixed in most cases Not sure how you can blame a forum for your past tossing parts at your car when you paid someone else to work on it) The problem I have with that is. Just because Jim Bob has Code P0171 and they posted on a forum looking for advise of what it could be! They get an idea that it is related to the 02 Sensor and was able to Replace the thing and it fixed the problem isn't always going to the the Problem Resolve... Yet your Last post with that code was the first time I seen something about your problem with your car... In other words. Looking over the Forums and Google is a good start to get an idea of what a problem could be.. Looking over the Internet is a good idea to understand that NOT EVERYONE CAN FIX THE PROBLEM THE SAME WAY EVEN WITH THE SAME CODE AND SAME CAR again don't mean same solution...

Then there are the people that ask for Help and people give advise and because it wasn't as easy or what ever reason they choose not to take the advise and the problem still around... Just have to Read and test, repair and motor on happy...

So with your Last message again I will mention your P0171 Code, in most cases people will go out and replace the 02 and think it will solve the issue.. However what should be done, is the things that could be done with least money or tools, Just some time... I would first look for Leaks and shorts... From your first post in this thread I am going to omit how to look for leaks and let you figure that one out... Then if I find there is no leaks, I would then test my system. This could be using a OBD II scanner. Looking over Long term Fuel Trims and Short, Both Bank 1 and bank 2, (Even though your issue was with bank 1) Also RPM, Maf data and if your scanner is able as some can load more even your 02 sensor and look to see what it is doing and when and why... Once you have that data in hand you may need to test some more with a DMM, test lights and other things to get to the bottom of (YOUR) issue...Everyone with that P0171 isn't going to have the same Solution.... and Just because it says you have an issue with xyz don't mean just replace that is going to fix it. It could mean that the item gave the code because other things in the car are making it over work and the system needs some looking over.... Also don't forget as I did talk about looking over things with a DMM... It could be there are shorts in your system... Without the right tools could be hard to really know what needs to be replaced...

Now Here is the real deal... Most times people TOSS parts at a car because they don't want to spend the money to pay someone that has the Training to repair your car for you... So they think they can toss a few parts that are cheap enough anyway to save them from giving hard earned money away... really your not giving anything away.... THEY SPENT MONEY FOR TRAINING AND TO GO TO SCHOOL so they could learn how to fix your car... Some have TOOLS that cost 2 to 5K for just a Scan tool. 5 to 10k for Car lifts, 1 to 4k or more for Tool boxes that holds laods of tools that cost loads of money to buy. Not everyone is trying to milk you for money... They are trying to feed the kids and pay their bills. Shops, Dealers, and even Back yard Trusted Mech, if they care about what they do is just like a Doctor here to help when you can't seem to figure it out...

In the end. You bought a Ex Police Car... It is going to need some no I mean it is going to NEED A LOT of TLC. If you don't want to give it the TLC that is needed to have the car keep you Happy then No don't keep it... Sadly it will only disappoint you...

PS.. In the end of all this. I started to write and thought not. Then I did, Not before taking up all I wrote and then seen your post so I re wrote it again. However I missed the first part of your last post until just now and Don't feel like writing this all over again lol.. So I will just say this... I kind of touched this before in my post. Just because someone was able to replace a Battery or starter to make the issue they had go away. Don't mean it is your solution... IF you haven't found 100% happiness in your ability to fix your CLicks when starting. It could come down to something as easy as Bad Grounds or bad battery post. To something that isn't very easy because not many know how to test. But could be a Bad Starter Wire Not many would even think to test. There are other things that could be at fault, From BCM, ECM, Relay to a few other things off the top of my head... Would need testing... When Looking over the Internet, or forums it is to get an idea of what to look over to try and come up with something that could be wrong. Again don't take what Jim Bob did, as that is going to solve your problem too... Maybe just something you may have over looked... an area to test...

James

I wish you luck with what you do. Hope you and your car find a happiness you can enjoy. Even if that means you pass the car along.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Going out on a limb here - but I'm guessing that he didn't have a crystal ball to know what issues were going to happen in the future when he bought the car. :)

Sent from my A1160 using Tapatalk
With that much trouble on a car that thing must have been in some rough shape for all of that to go bad in 3-4 months. Shouldn't have taken a crystal ball to see it coming. He indeed went out on a limb when he bought it...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey James,

Sorry it seemed as if I came off in a rude or obnoxious way. Seemed as if I'm blaming the internet. Nah I'm not.

Well I took it to a mechanic and he couldn't find a vacuum leak, bad sensors or anything. The engine light is on because of the *P0171 code. It's removable in the ocd unlike codes like *0606 and fault codes. He said it will still ride okay with the engine light on but lights on like check engine make me very paranoid. He also tested the Short life and Long life of the Fuel Trim. He said it runs -6 or 6. And that seemed good.

But my next step now is buying a new transmission because it's kind of driving like a crown vic and shifting weird. I already have a feeling that it'll go out sooner or later.

·
Registered
35 Posts
ATLien we talk on Instagram a lot what's going on man??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.