Impala Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 1974 chevy blazer with a built 400 horsepower engine and was wondering if i should stick with the stock torque converter or get a stall converter. and what will the stock converter do to. Help!
I currently have a 1974 chevy blazer with a built 400 horsepower engine and was wondering if i should stick with the stock torque converter or get a stall converter. and what will the stock converter do to. Help!
first i wanna thank you guys that answered my question. we just go the engine from a friend and are working on the specs for it. but according to him he says something like, our cam cam take the stall converter and that it would give us more horse power or something. its an offroad vehicle and most likely going to be used in the dunes/sandy desert.
Thanks allot guys! :]

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You say "built" 400. If its putting out more than 300 HP, you definately need a stall convertor (probably around 2500, higher HP=higher stall). 250 Hp needs about an 1800-2000 convertor. Anything less HP a stock convertor is fine. The problem is a stock convertor hooks up about 1000-1200 RPM. This is actually due to the torque, not the HP, but high HP engines also have have high torque.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts