Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...Impala, what do you think? I am not positive it was an actual cop car - but it was owned by the city. It just looks like it was used for law enforcement - it is white and has those huge spotlights on each side of the windsheild. It's a 2001 Impala and is going to be at an auction this week. Has anyone ever bought a car from an auction or bought a former city-owned car? I was told I could pick it up for a pretty good price, but wouldnt it be in pretty rough shape if it were used for a police car? It doesnt have any siren-type lights or a cage inside, so maybe it was used for detective or undercover type work, i dont know. Can anyone give me some insight?

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Generally speaking, detective/city employee used vehicles never had the added expense of having spotlights on the sides of the car. Most also did not have permanently mounted radios and such that would leave exposed wiring from removal. A typical police car would be very messy inside with exposed wires,loose bolts on the carpet and marks in the headliner where you could see a divider/prisoner cage separating the front seats from the rear.

In any case, as hard as typical police cars may be treated, they are usually very well maintained by the agency that owns them. If the car looks to be beat up (bald or low tread on the tires, dents, interior torn up etc....) Factor those things needing attention into what your willing to pay for a auction car. Usually with a little time,armor all and upholstery cleaner, cop cars clean up pretty well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree completely with G.B.A. My cousin was a provincial police officer (like a state trooper) for about ten years. The cars had a rough life but were well maintained and parts were fixed quickly using factory parts. Just be aware of urine/vomit smells from the back seats. Criminals were pretty angry/drunk back there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts