Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well. despite the glowing reviews here for the Pirelli cinturatos, which was great to some but found out from multiple reviews that the tires are not living up to the mileage claims by the manufacturer like 60%-70%

I went with Generals Altimax RT43 great reviews on multiple websites 4.2 to 4.8 stars. With the only consistent complaint of road noise.

65,000 mile warranty and $50 less per tire.

One of the local tire chains will have them on hand in three days. I will be checking date codes before installation. I prefer not to have year old tires. Hopefully, I won't be drifting around corners this year and will be awaiting a good snow storm to report back on performance

Pat

·
Registered
605 Posts
They get a very good rating at Townfair tire and Northeast chain of stores. They are a grand touring tire so they should not be as loud as high performance all season sport tires such as the ones that come on the Impala

·
Registered
588 Posts
A good tire is important. Friend of mine had a Set of 215 60 16 for her car and was not to happy after the first 4 weeks of driving. She said on dry pavement they were ok but in the Snow or even a little water they were not that great. She ended up taking them off and buying some Yoko Ice Guard. She has a small incline to her road home and with the little snow she had she couldn't make it up the small incline.. That was why she had to replace them so early. Not being able to make it to work in almost no snow. Wouldn't be good in the 2 or 3in she may get. With her new tires she says they were the best tire she has ever owned. ONly 10 more for each tire.

I hope they work out for you. Lucky for me I dont live in the snow area anymore and rain only 2 months a year if we are lucky. I buying cheap tires from Wal Mart these days.... Douglas on the 06, Goodyear Viva 3 on the 00 and 03. The next set on the 00 will be a better tire only because I am going to change wheel size. Keep the new this month Goodyears for backup for the 03... Some times I wish I would make my mind up before I buy things lol...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am still awaiting a phone call. They were paid for on Saturday to get $75.00 off the set.

I know it's like selling ice cubes to eskimos, but anyone interested in a set of 4 with 37,500 on them. Driven by a little old lady to church, down hill both ways!;) No really people call me gramps because I drive like one. All rotations done at 5,500 to 6000 miles. All tires are wearing evenly I have to report back with the treadware gauge when I get them off and cleaned up. Yes there has been plug in a couple of them. P235-50-18

Pat

·
Registered
82 Posts
I can see how they might be a bit noisy, but if you need any kind of snowy or icy road grip, you have to put up with a little road noise.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The new rubber is on! Only a few miles put on now. As a initial cursory report, tires hit the bumps a little harder (identical tire press setting) a better feel to the steering, not so heavy.

As noted above the tires are not available! Even though I specifically told them and as noted on the bill no charge on disposal, customer will take them. And even the installer comment on the old tires "lots of tread life left" They put them on the scrap heap! And as luck would have it, the scrapper came today to take them:(

They offered me only $30 per tire with 40% life left in them! I said I was going to ask $250.00, he said hows $200.00, close enough and I don't have to clean and advertise them and eventually meet someone halfway on travel.

Pat

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK here is the report on snow traction:D:D:D:D:D
Great tires so far, no road noise that I can detect and I have rabbit like hearing! The light snow around one inch going into 90 degree street turns on to another at 19 mph and no drifting!

Had 8" over the last 36 hrs here and parked it in a unplowed area. Stopped for 20 minutes to plow out the old mans drive way and walked right out the wet slippery snow and did not even begin to slip.

Pat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts