Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have a 2000 impala, 3.4 engine. 280k, i know its horrible, don't know how it's still running. Anyways I was looking at the suspension and noticed the outer tie rods were bad so i replaced them. Now my car shakes at about 45 mph when i let go of the gas. Tires are pretty old but it did not shake before. I think it may be the tires, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight into why this might happen. I know I have to get it aligned after a tie rod replacement, but there are a couple other things I have to fix before the shop can align the vehicle.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Shaky

I would look at the following, the idle arm, mounting, balancing of the tires and condition, and I would definately get it aligned before I do much of anything. You basically changed the geometry of the the suspension. I don't care how close you think you got it. Just some thoughts.

Jeff

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tire guy said he wouldn't balance the tires because of the condition they are in, so that's out the window. I have the original set of tires and i might change from the 18" rims on it to original tires and rims and see if that does anything because the originals are in good condition, and I will take it to the alignment shop this weekend and see what they say. Thanks and ill update the post with my findings. Thanks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The tire guy said he wouldn't balance the tires because of the condition they are in, so that's out the window. I have the original set of tires and i might change from the 18" rims on it to original tires and rims and see if that does anything because the originals are in good condition, and I will take it to the alignment shop this weekend and see what they say. Thanks and ill update the post with my findings. Thanks.
The original tires from 2000? They might have good tread but tires weaken over time whether they are used or not. Might be a safety concern to consider.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I would look at the following, the idle arm, mounting, balancing of the tires and condition, and I would definately get it aligned before I do much of anything. You basically changed the geometry of the the suspension. I don't care how close you think you got it. Just some thoughts.

Jeff
No idler arm on a rack and pinion setup, but it could still be balljoints, inner tie-rods, or wheel bearings. But definitely try tires first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tires are not from 2000. I've had the car for about a year and a half. Haven't switched out the tires because i dont have time yet but will tomorrow. Also have other issues with it but I think ill start a different thread about it since it has to do with the crappy engine in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts