Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a '03 Impala LS (with the 3.8 V6)
and I'm gonna start working on making it faster....

1. Where is the governor for my engine because if I can just rip that out myself I'm gonna do it :biggrin:.

2. Would there be any problem taking out my catalitic converter? (like maybe that oxygen thing newer cars have?)

3. Would there be a problem putting on "true" duals on my car?

·
Registered
657 Posts
1. there is no governor, there is a speed limiter built into the PCM. it cannot be removed, however it can be raised to a ridiculously high point you will never reach.

2. get a high flow cat instead of removing it.

3. pretty hard to run "true duals" on this car. take a look at your exhaust setup. you can however, get all kinds of exhaust work done, like headers, ported manifolds, powerlog, downpipe, cat-back duals, etc. a lot can be done with your engine. talk to 04DetroitLS for more info. his car is ridiculous.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks this helps out a lot, i dont know too much about my engine or most domestic cars... mostly stuff like hondas that are no use to me.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
talk to 04DetroitLS for more info. his car is ridiculous.
LOL thanks.. I think ;)

chances are you'll never out flow a single pipe on this car (unles syou go STUPID big TT setup) The stock SS exhaust is rated for around 300hp or so, and its not true duals, it "Y"s off around the "C" bend by the rear tire.

I'm running a single 3" all the way back (mandrel) and it was more than enough for a 3.4" and S1X cam.

GMPP sells a nice sounding "dual" exhaust w/ the setup like i previously mentioned.

Depending how far you want to go/spend, look into :
www.getoverkilled.ca - PCM
www.zzperformance.com - Powerlog + down pipe
Home Depot (make a fenderwell intake)
www.intense-racing.com - 1.9 Rockers and a 180* Tstat
ZZP- HVIII (high velocity intake insert)

that should be a nice setup ;)

·
Registered
375 Posts
All depends on how much you want to spend. Do you have a dollar limit in mind? Can you do all the work yourself?

Over $1000-top swap (or turbo....depends on budget)
Under $500(biggest bang for your buck)
-PCM tune(250-500)
-Fenderwell Intake(50-250)
-Skift Kit and dex 6 trans fluid (220)

Governor in our cars is electronic and needs to be programmed out with a tuner.

You can remove the Cat and 02 sensors, in a way... you can use an o2 sim on the 03 models to avoid check engine lights, but you'll probably fail any visual inspection for emissions testing.

True duals aren't worth running on a w-body because it's too much hassle and there's not really enough room to run two decent pipes back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
really, i dont have much of a limit, i have a $1000 paycheck coming soon for me to blow because i helped someone join the army (which i recently did myself) and i have an ok job for an 18 year-old

·
Registered
657 Posts
either buy a tuner or get a tuned PCM from a shop like milzy motorsports, Intense, i think ZZP does them, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts