Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using an enhanced GM scan tool (ABS, Trans, Body, PCM), there are no codes! No codes permanent, no codes pending, no codes stored.
The check engine symbol (next to the message center), is not illuminated

However the "SERVICE VEHICLE SOON" yellow message center is ON!
Oil change has been reset!

What causes this to be on and can it be reset?

Thanks, Dennis

·
Banned
667 Posts
Using an enhanced GM scan tool (ABS, Trans, Body, PCM), there are no codes! No codes permanent, no codes pending, no codes stored.
The check engine symbol (next to the message center), is not illuminated

However the "SERVICE VEHICLE SOON" yellow message center is ON!
Oil change has been reset!

What causes this to be on and can it be reset?

Thanks, Dennis
ABS issue !

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ Service vehicle soon is a lighting issue. You likely have a daytime, brake, etc light burned out.

An ABS issue usually turns the ABS and Brake lights on.

It could also be a BCM issue if no codes are found.

Reactions: den052

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Ill check the lights. Also forgot to mention that the ICP is messed up because of the stepper motors which I am very capable of replacing. (I used to build and solder printed circuits and experiment with them). That also may be the cause after further searching the internet since posting this thread. My scan software is capable of reading BCM codes also and there were none found.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Den052, I see you're already engaged with other owners; so, I just wanted to hop on this thread to let you know I'm available if you would ever like me to search for open recalls on your Impala or contact your dealer on your behalf. Please feel free to contact me anytime via private message for further assistance.

Best,

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
My scan software is capable of reading BCM codes also and there were none found.
No codes being found on the BCM could possibly mean the bcm is at fault. But, in most cases with a faulty bcm you would have other issues but, not always. Have seen this alot on the net.

Reactions: den052

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. However, after checking for all codes in PCM, BCM, ABS, and etc and finding no codes, I replaced the engine thermostat because it was running cooler than 180-195F. Now it is putting out good heat from the heater and the "Service vehicle soon" light mysteriously went out and did not come back on. I also checked for burned out lighting bulbs as someone else suggested and found none. So apparently the "Service Vehicle Soon" message center is looking at things that are abnormal even though there are no codes stored in the various computer units implemented in this vehicle.
Anyhow now my problem is fixed and no "Service Vehicle Soon" message is on now.
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the info. However, after checking for all codes in PCM, BCM, ABS, and etc and finding no codes, I replaced the engine thermostat because it was running cooler than 180-195F. Now it is putting out good heat from the heater and the "Service vehicle soon" light mysteriously went out and did not come back on. I also checked for burned out lighting bulbs as someone else suggested and found none. So apparently the "Service Vehicle Soon" message center is looking at things that are abnormal even though there are no codes stored in the various computer units implemented in this vehicle.
Anyhow now my problem is fixed and no "Service Vehicle Soon" message is on now.
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.
Had the same thing happen here. I had a thermostat stuck open, engine took a long time to reach normal operating temps, etc. and only once did a code pop up: P0128 (Coolant Temp Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature). Cleared it once and it never came back. After I replaced the thermostat, I checked the codes and nothing was stored, even though I ran it a few times more with the stuck thermostat which caused the code in the first place. Weird.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I hate to bump such an old topic, but I got this message tonight and noticed that my fog lights failed to turn on. Checked the fuse underneath the hood, and sure enough, the fuse was blown. Once replaced, the SVS message went off.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
SVS light can mean multiple different things. But, a light out will def throw this warning and its the first thing to check when you get the light

·
Registered
95 Posts
I appreciate the confirmation as well. I was pretty pissed off when I got it. I'm glad I turn on the fogs everytime I drive.

Reactions: g25racer

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya, its too bad that the "Service Vehicle Soon" is so BROAD a message that it can be set off with many issues. I guess the way to trouble shoot it is to check the lighting circuits for burned bulbs, and then make sure there are no codes in ECM, BCM, ABS, and etc. in that order.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a really weird version of this...

My SVS message will pop up -
along with my headlights, are random times.

It's like there is a stuck relay or something.
No consistent logic...
- slam hood, SVS randomly on or not.
- pull out of garage, headlights on, sunny day, headlights flip off and SVS
- driving along, hit bump - SVS

1 - 20 of 32 Posts