Impala Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a 2008 Impala with 82250 miles on it. when I make a sharp left turn the "SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL" comes on, but when I straighten out the wheels it goes off. the car does not lose any power and drivability is still good. I have a couple of ideas....like wheel bearing, ABS sensor or speed sensor. Has anyone else experienced this.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Sounds like a sensor to me for sure.

·
Banned
667 Posts
Its a 2008 Impala with 82250 miles on it. when I make a sharp left turn the "SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL" comes on, but when I straighten out the wheels it goes off. the car does not lose any power and drivability is still good. I have a couple of ideas....like wheel bearing, ABS sensor or speed sensor. Has anyone else experienced this.
I get it randomly as well

I did inspect my rotors and they are toast.

wash your hands dry them then touch them across to see if they are perfectly smooth. if it has groves like a vinyl record then, they need replacement or re-machined

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
brakes were done about 10,000 or less miles ago. And my wife just got home. She made a left into the driveway and......it didn't go off. its the werid. yesterday it did it on every sharp left turn, my wife said today nothing.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I'm not 100% sure on the traction control system, but this could possibly be a solution, given there even being any electrical sensors...

A sensor connector could have jiggled its way loose and be getting pulled on when making a sharp left turn. Jack up the front end, pull the tires off and check all electrical connectors. Wouldn't hurt to undo any connectors and apply some di-electric grease.

But like I said, I'm not familiar with 8th gen traction control, I just rule out the possibility of an undone connector when having an intermittent light to flash.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ Agree. I am also NOT familiar with 8th gens but, I would inspect all abs harness connectors going to the senors/hubs. Remove all connectors, clean with compressed air (to remove moisture), and apply dielectric grease to all prongs/connections. Trace down all abs harnesses and check for cracking or damage. Also, get a second hand and set the front end on jack stands. Start car and turn wheels from full left to right and have the second hand look for binding in the harnesses. GM has screwed up in the past by making these harnesses too short which, caused binding and eventually breaking of the wires.

The abs sensors/hubs MAY or MAY NOT be serviceable. If they are a dealer will be able to take the sensors out of the hubs and clean them up. These abs sensors are magnetic so, all it takes is a small piece of metal to mess with the readings.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
sounds more like a harness problem, check for dirty plug or frayed wires. Use dielectric grease on plug like the previous post suggest.

good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
954 Posts
John, please feel free to send me a private message through the forum anytime. I'm available to check for recalls or contact your dealer at any point for you!

Best,

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2012 impala and its doin the same thing, only on sharp left turns when I accelerate but it doesn't do it all the time its weird. The car makes a little weird noise that I can't explain nd it some wat looses power nd jerks a lil bit but I jus let the gas go and then it goes bak to normal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2013 is also doing this. The dealer changed the hub bearing on the left front and said I needed new tires. I put on new tires and got an alignment and within 2 weeks was doing this again. I am scheduled to bring it in in a few days as I bought the extended warranty, but not sure why they did not fix it the first time. The light was actually on when he pulled it in the bay, so he should have been able to pull codes and all. It is intermittent, but most common on a left turn from a dead stop. exact same as you said, a grinding noise and bogs down for a second then it is ok.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
My 2013 is also doing this. The dealer changed the hub bearing on the left front and said I needed new tires. I put on new tires and got an alignment and within 2 weeks was doing this again. I am scheduled to bring it in in a few days as I bought the extended warranty, but not sure why they did not fix it the first time. The light was actually on when he pulled it in the bay, so he should have been able to pull codes and all. It is intermittent, but most common on a left turn from a dead stop. exact same as you said, a grinding noise and bogs down for a second then it is ok.
I'd bet it's the wiring harness from the front sensor. Those are notorious for getting broken/chafed wires. The little tie-downs on the plastic loom tend to pinch the wires causes chafe points. The result is that the wires either touch each other causing a short, or one (or both) of the wires develops a break in it. Either way, the connections become intermittent. That's why, when you turn one way, you get the message - the wire opens up interrupting the signal to the ABS controller.

Frankly, after you get the wire fixed, I'd be in inclined to ask for a refund on the wheel bearing.

Doug

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd bet it's the wiring harness from the front sensor. Those are notorious for getting broken/chafed wires. The little tie-downs on the plastic loom tend to pinch the wires causes chafe points. The result is that the wires either touch each other causing a short, or one (or both) of the wires develops a break in it. Either way, the connections become intermittent. That's why, when you turn one way, you get the message - the wire opens up interrupting the signal to the ABS controller.

Frankly, after you get the wire fixed, I'd be in inclined to ask for a refund on the wheel bearing.

Doug

This happened to me on my 2009 LTZ..drove me crazy. It would drop a code so I took to Oreily auto parts and they pulled the code and said it was a wheel speed sensor. So I bought a new one and it seemed fine for a day. It happened again,so I took the new one back and got another one,thinking maybe a bad one in new box. No such luck. When I would test the wire harness with a meter it was fine. So just for heck of it I got a new wire harness and installed it. That was the problem all along!! I took the old wire harness and put a meter on one end and started to bend it a little at a time,when the meter gave me a new reading. Stripped the outer case off the two wires and their it was,a break in the wire. Thanks to this forum and the other people posting here I fixed it myself and saved a trip to dealer!!! Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
plano-doug;2225321[/quote said:

Doug

Having the same problem in my 2012. Any ideas on how easy/difficult it is to get to the front wiring harness? Used to doing my own work, but currently living in a place with only street parking and it's illegal in Chicago to work on your car in the street. if it's an hour long job I'll chance it, but otherwise I'm going to need to take it in.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Having the same problem in my 2012. Any ideas on how easy/difficult it is to get to the front wiring harness? Used to doing my own work, but currently living in a place with only street parking and it's illegal in Chicago to work on your car in the street. if it's an hour long job I'll chance it, but otherwise I'm going to need to take it in.
Put your tools in the trunk and find a friendly parking lot such as a school, church, or not-busy shopping center. It shouldn't take more than an hour or so to jack it up, pull the front wheels off and inspect the wires. [Edit: You might want to get permission.]

If you remove the wires from the loom, you should be able to see the bad spots in the wires. Sometimes, the insulation is still intact at the break, but the wire will be flimsy at that point. You can see it, and feel it, too.

The hardest part is getting the wire back in the loom. (One of these days I'm gonna buy the tool for that.)

The only caveat I can think of is needing to solder the replacement harness in place. You'll probably need an electrical outlet for that, altho a 25W soldering iron can easily be run off a 12V-to-120V inverter plugged into the ashtray.

Doug

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
I've seen plenty of people working on their cars in Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts parking lots! That's kinda crazy that you're not allowed to work on your car where you live!! Never heard of such a thing.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
My 2000 LS is doing this as well. I am pretty sure mine is the wiring. From what I have researched the wiring is known to corrode and mess with the ohms, thus throwing a code and illuminating the lamp on the dash.

Sent from my LG-VS985 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2001 with a similar problem. Started happening after I had to drive it to work for several days through nasty winter weather and I think all the snow, ice, salt, gravel, etc. could've screwed up a sensor. It's went through a few phases now, currently it makes a buzzing sound and all the traction control warning lights come on occasionally when I use the turn signal. Sometimes it's fine. Most days it starts with the warning lights when I start it up, they go off and then it doesn't do anything for 20 miles, then I'll get ready to make a turn and all the lights and buzzing start.

The solutions I'm seeing proposed and the fixes from repair shops seem to be all over the place. Ignition switch, wheel hubs, ABS pump, on and on. Maybe the sensor getting broken or dirty where it goes into the wheel hub is a common problem? I'm definitely not an expert.

I've never even had to look at any type of sensor related to traction control or ABS before, it's the first problem like this I've ever had with a car. It's hard to Google problems related to traction control system issues without getting some results related to Impalas and it sounds like the problem continued pretty much unabated for a decade worth of production.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts