Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today while sitting parked in my 2012 Chevy Impala LS 83,000 miles, "the service battery charging system", "battery light", and "battery saver active" notifications came on. I had just driven 30 miles to work with no issues, nothing out of the ordinary. Now the car wouldn't start, just as with any "dead" battery. I went back out 2 hours later and it started up no problem, the alerts were gone, and just the check engine light came on. I drove it to the dealer, who didn't have any appointments until the weekend. So I went home (another 30 miles with no issues) and checked the the battery and alternator, and both checked perfect with the multi-meter. While starting the car to test the battery, the check engine light went off also.

Question is.....was this a fluke? Even though the checks are fine on the battery and alternator, is it possible they still are failing? Am i missing something else that should be checked? Or should I just take it in to get it checked at the dealer?

:beer:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
If this is the original battery, I would replace it. I used to own a 2012 Impala LTZ and replaced the battery after 3 years. It is easy to change, but you have to remove the brace and loose the fuse box.
lol yeah it's easy as long as it isn't -40 out like when mine went out....then it was hours of pain in the rear trying to get it out of the hole it's in.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
lol yeah it's easy as long as it isn't -40 out like when mine went out....then it was hours of pain in the rear trying to get it out of the hole it's in.

Replacing the battery on the 8th generation Impalas is a little difficult, but doable. I owned three of them. If you remove the brace, and loosen the electrical center and have a helper move it - the battery can be turned slightly and lifted in and out.

I help maintain 8 vehicles for my family. We live in the Midwest where summer temperatures reach 90 degree F plus - and winter temperatures can drop lower than 10 degrees below zero F.

I replace any car battery in our vehicles that is three or more years older as routine matineance in the Fall - when it is sunny and 60 degrees.

I would rather pay for a new battery and install it on my terms during good weather, than have someone stranded in the rain or snow, or at night when all the stores are closed.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Replacing the battery on the 8th generation Impalas is a little difficult, but doable. I owned three of them. If you remove the brace, and loosen the electrical center and have a helper move it - the battery can be turned slightly and lifted in and out.

I help maintain 8 vehicles for my family. We live in the Midwest where summer temperatures reach 90 degree F plus - and winter temperatures can drop lower than 10 degrees below zero F.

I replace any car battery in our vehicles that is three or more years older as routine matineance in the Fall - when it is sunny and 60 degrees.

I would rather pay for a new battery and install it on my terms during good weather, than have someone stranded in the rain or snow, or at night when all the stores are closed.
lol yeah doing it on your own is a little rough a second set of hands would have made it much easier. also i didn't plan for it to die in the middle of winter, it was doing great until the cold snap and it sat for a couple of days over the weekend. hard to justify a battery replacement when it's doing fine. usually when i get to the first jump start, i just replace it. that one caught me off guard.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Question is.....was this a fluke? Even though the checks are fine on the battery and alternator, is it possible they still are failing? Am i missing something else that should be checked? Or should I just take it in to get it checked at the dealer?

:beer:
Run it to an auto parts store or wal mart auto center and have them check the battery. They can check it in the car and save you a load of money over the dealer.

Swapping the battery in the 12 is not too bad, but would be sure it is bad before just changing it.

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
Interesting video on that very thing just posted on PHAD

Would also remove battery terminals and clean posts and terminals.
DO NOT LOSE the little nut from the terminal. You will be very sad.

Reactions: plano-doug

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Most likely your battery is failing since the problem came and went. Most alternator problems start and stay.

Though a different year than your back in 2004 my "Gen" (alternator) light came on during a trip. Cycled the AC off and back on which turn off the Gen light. Tested it over the next 2 weeks trying to figure out whether the battery or alternator was the problem. Did not have a battery load tester or the electrolyte tester at that time. Just 2 days after the last check the battery had died.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Get a high capacity replacement battery and change it. Your car is 5 years old and that service charging system message is the car's way of telling you that your battery is going to fail. Better to change it now, then wait until its snowing and have your car die. You can also try trickle charging it and see if it stops. Also, don't lose the battery terminal nuts, because they are special nuts that tighten and lock in place.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Today while sitting parked in my 2012 Chevy Impala LS 83,000 miles, "the service battery charging system", "battery light", and "battery saver active" notifications came on. I had just driven 30 miles to work with no issues, nothing out of the ordinary. Now the car wouldn't start, just as with any "dead" battery. I went back out 2 hours later and it started up no problem, the alerts were gone, and just the check engine light came on. I drove it to the dealer, who didn't have any appointments until the weekend. So I went home (another 30 miles with no issues) and checked the the battery and alternator, and both checked perfect with the multi-meter. While starting the car to test the battery, the check engine light went off also.

🍺
I am having this exact problem from the first sentence right now. 2012 Chevy Impala. Replaced the battery a couple of years ago. I took it to the garage and they didn't have the problem, and said the battery was charged perfectly, so no problems there. Wondering what your ultimate resolution of this was. I am searching the internet and seeing people tell tales of woe about replacing the battery, replacing the alternator and still having problems...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts