Impala Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

2009 Impala 6cyl, while driving this morning after about 30 minutes got an error message stating:

"Service battery/charging system", at this same time the heating system/ventilation turned off, the power steering stopped, and the traction control went off.

about 3 minutes later the engine heat showed full heat and the overheat message began. No steam or smoke or burning smell from the engine. I did notice normal temp about 5 minutes before all of this event. I do believe that the engine/charging system error preceded the overheat warning. About 5 minutes after that, while parked, the replace engine oil and reduced engine power messages were displayed.

To note: the engine does start without a problem. No clicking sounds from the battery. No oil leak and oil was changed recently.

Any ideas?

I'm a DIY type of guy for relatively easy fixes (brakes, etc), but I think if this is an in depth electrical issue I best leave it up to the pros. Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Hello,

2009 Impala 6cyl, while driving this morning after about 30 minutes got an error message stating:

"Service battery/charging system", at this same time the heating system/ventilation turned off, the power steering stopped, and the traction control went off.

about 3 minutes later the engine heat showed full heat and the overheat message began. No steam or smoke or burning smell from the engine. I did notice normal temp about 5 minutes before all of this event. I do believe that the engine/charging system error preceded the overheat warning. About 5 minutes after that, while parked, the replace engine oil and reduced engine power messages were displayed.

To note: the engine does start without a problem. No clicking sounds from the battery. No oil leak and oil was changed recently.

Any ideas?

I'm a DIY type of guy for relatively easy fixes (brakes, etc), but I think if this is an in depth electrical issue I best leave it up to the pros. Thanks for any advice!
I think you either have a stuck thermostat or a fubar'd coolant temperature sending unit.

For replacing the thermostat, not sure what's entailed on your motor - it's a 3.6 ? . It's a PITA on some of the older motors (eg, 3.4L) to change it out.

The change oil message comes on if the motor has been thru an over-temp cycle. So fixing that message requires fixing the cooling system first.

Doug

·
Registered
588 Posts
I am sure this was already looked at but did you by chance look your belt? To me it sounds like you lost info about charging first? Then shortly after that your car started to over heat? I just wonder if the belt has broke or is no longer working the system to spec?

James

·
Registered
182 Posts
I agree with Revo, sounds too simple to miss it but if you lose your belt the alternator stops charging in about 2 seconds and because the water pump also stops spinning the temp starts climbing shortly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts