Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I am new to here. I am stuck in a case trying to have my Impala (2018 LT) fixed for a transmission noise while this has been pending for a few months already. Want to share my story and hope any of you could offer some advice.

My car started to have some high pitched noise (like whistle) from left front side in September last year when at 37K miles. The noise happens mostly when coasting on smooth road at speed 45-55mph. It's not very loud but quite noticeable and annoying. I thought it was CV axle or the seal. I took it to the dealer in Orlando near downtown and quickly I was told the noise must come from inside the transmission. A further diagnosis showed the issue should be from the differential (part of the transmission). So the dealer told me to keep my car there and they had to order some parts. It was very unfortunate that a few days later the GM stroke broke out. So there were no more parts... I had to take my car out and the service manager told me once the strike is over and part is ready they must call me back. Waited more than a month till GM strive was over. Called the dealer and the manager told me I should likely wait another 2 weeks due to part orders were all delayed due to stroke. That's fine. However after that, I could never reach to this dealer by phone. So on November 22th, I reached out to GM service asking for help and they took my case. The GM customer advisor seemed to be working hard on my case, responded to me every 2 days and said she escalated the case to higher level. This seemed alright. But you never expected that this has been forever - all updates I got is there is no update from the dealer and parts are back-ordered. Asked what exactly caused the delay and any particular solution to solve it - no idea. Simply she did call me every 2 days but no help at all. She couldn't even get much information from the dealer just because the dealer was also very unresponsive to her requests - most of the time she complained back to me that the dealer didn't respond to her email and voice mail. She has no idea what parts have been ordered. And then 2 weeks ago (on 1/10), without any notice, GM assigned another advisor on my case because the first advisor went on other job. This new guy had no idea about my case and only his response to my complaint was he is going to call the dealer every a couple days and if there is any update he will let me know. Wow that's completely useless and takes forever. On the other side, I could no longer reach to the dealership. The manager didn’t answer my phone anymore and didn’t respond to voice mails either. I am really frustrated in this situation and disappointed about this dealer and overall GM’s customer service. More than 4 months with the issue and 2 months on the case with GM customer service, no help at all.

To me the issue itself may be not a very serious one, however the experience with the dealer and GM’s customer service was horrible! I really had no faith with the car, the Chevy and GM. I hope I can find some luck soon that changes my mind. Otherwise I might have to sell or trade in my car sooner or later, and pick a different brand. At least I had great experience with Toyota's customer service in the past - every responsible and effective in connecting to local dealer and resolve the issue in one day. Huge difference between GM and Toyota from this aspect.

Thanks for watching my story. English is my second language but hopefully I explained it not that bad. I would greatly appreciate it if you could share any advice or any experience on how to deal with such issue. Thank you guys. I also hope if anyone works for GM can see this post. If this would be helpful, here is my case number with GM right now: 9-****533259.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I work for a non-automotive dealership! I have issues with most manufacturers. Brand new unit having issues,currently same model still going down the line. Statement from them is" we are working on a supplier to build the part" Were are you getting the ones going down the line? I guess someone is crapping them at the plant.

Same manufacturer older unit. 8 months till part is made. What do I tell the customers and I mean multiple! That you won't have your unit running for 3/4 of year!

Pat

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I have a 2014 Impala 2LTZ that sat at the dealer for almost a week waiting on parts, one month after the strike. The parts never arrived. I have an extended GM warranty which covers a rental if the car has to be left overnight, but the dealership was out of vehicles - all on loan to customers with cars waiting for parts.

I’m a long-time GM customer, but I am convinced that GM and the UAW have no regard for the customers that buy their cars and have them serviced with GM parts. GM bragged about stocking-up on new models prior to the strike, but did nothing to stock-up on parts for their customers.

The UAW intentionally went on strike and tried to harm GM and its customers. Based upon the numerous felony criminal indictments and convictions of their leadership members, I am convinced that the UAW is a very corrupt organization.

You say you cannot reach the dealership by phone. Have you called the main number and asked for the dealership’s general manager (not the service or part’s manager)?

I would also file two on-line complaints with the Better Business Bureau - one for the dealership and one for GM, explaining your issues. Many large companies have an “ombudsman” that will handle BBB complaints and I’d bet that GM has that process (they notify the BBB to forward any complaints to a specific department or person).

Good luck with your issue. I know I am disgusted with GM’s response to their customers regarding parts, and I suspect you are too. Please don’t give up and let us know what you resolve. I wish I had a “magic” recommendation that could resolve your problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for your replies. You made me feel I am not alone.

There is some update from here. Yesterday I got a call from GM advisor that the dealership wants me to take car in. This is a bit weird that why I didn’t get a call from the dealership directly? The advisor wasn’t even clear what’s going on at the dealership just told me to take the car in. OK. So today, I went to the dealership and met the service manager. He started with complaint about GM service advisor keeping calling him and emailing him. He said he had replied back to GM that the issue is not essentially the part delay, but they had too many cars waiting for transmission repair nowadays so they couldn’t get me in. When I asked whether the parts are here, he said he doesn’t know… and seemed he didn’t worry about that. So all the things happened do not have good logic - GM worked hard (at least called me every two days) telling me parts are back ordered; dealership never called me to come back (I have been waiting since September, but now they have nearly 20 cars in waiting list in front of me). You can see how inefficient the GM and dealership communicate and work on such issues. One good thing is he wanted me to keep the car there as he didn’t want me to drive the car with issue anymore. (I guess) he might be under pressure from GM. And he offered me a loaner car. The challenge is that I was told to expect minimum one month to get the car fixed due to their high load - will be another painful journey. At this point, I guess this is the reality that I have to accept. At least I got a car to drive. It’s a baseline Equinox full of plastic smell and not that comfortable comparing to Impala. I am not complaining the loaner car, just have to wait while hope to hear some good news moving forward. I will let you guys know how this goes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Want to give everyone an update - finally got my car back today! After 6 months waiting! The report says the differential drive pinion and carrier had unevern wear and the parts were replaced. Hopefully this is not a common issue for other Impala users.

The GM customer service still didn't know what happened to the delay. They completely had no visibility on the issue and had no control on the dealership. The dealer also had poor management on their staff and working quality. They had my car rear bumper damaged during the repair so had to repaint the bumper. After the issue was finished, I noticed another paint chip in the front so repainted again. My car was handed to me messy and dirty everywhere in side out. I saw paint even on engine plastic cover and several chrome plates - luckily I used some alcohol to removed it afterwards. Then, when I was driving home, I noticed the steeling wheel was not aligned to the center but off to the left... although this should be an easy fix to my knowledge. All these things really made me no faith on GM anymore. On the good side, I learned a lot about how to be patient and optimistic, and set right expectation for GM and the dealership. And some knowledge about this car as well. Hopefully this bad part is just my experience.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just be fair, one thing I also need to mention which I do appreciate, is that I was given the loaner car during the repair. I drove 3 different cars/SUVs at different times - all of them are new, added totally about 1,500 miles. I know not every dealership is generous to offer loaner cars even under warranty period. To this point, I have no complaint. But they do need to do a better job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts