Impala Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here know anything about the security system on a 09 impala? When my ignition is turned on the security light (pad lock) comes on and will not go off. My engine will not turn over either. Is there a way to bypass or reset the system?

·
Registered
588 Posts
You don't really want to bypass your system. Doing so will make it so anyone with your key can start your car... Only do so as a last resort....

First thing I would try. make sure you have a Full battery. Then take you key and do a Key Relearn. It will be key on for 10 min, light goes off key off 5 seconds key on 10 min light goes off key off for 5 seconds key on for 10 min the security light goes off then turn the key off. Then after 5 seconds try and start the car...

James

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks James, I am trying to get this thing figured out. Will try the key relearn tomorrow and see if that works. Not really sure if that is the problem or not. The car had been sitting for who knows how long before I bought it. On my 2010 the security light only stays on for a few seconds when the key is in the run position. On this 09 it stays on. When I turn the key everything lights up but the engine does not turn over. The security light staying on I am thinking maybe its keeping the engine from turning over. I need to get a new bulb for my test light and see where the power trail ends.

·
Registered
688 Posts
If the key relearn does not work, most likely you will have to replace the passkey sensor. This happened to a relative's Olds Alero... Luckily he was able to get the car home and I replaced the sensor and switch together. That was over a year ago and still going strong today.

Reactions: jso2378

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been thinking, If the security system was keeping the car from starting wouldn't it display a message on the DIC? The padlock is illuminated but there is no message about the security system.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I've been thinking, If the security system was keeping the car from starting wouldn't it display a message on the DIC? The padlock is illuminated but there is no message about the security system.
I looked in the 2009 owners manual, but it only vaguely describes the security light:

If the engine does not start and the security light on the
instrument panel cluster comes on when trying to
start the vehicle, there may be a problem with your
theft-deterrent system.

It doesn't say much else - whether the light flashes, or how long it stays on.

From what I can deduce, only the security icon comes on - it doesn't appear that the SECURITY message is displayed in the DIC. I think that may only apply to the gen7's.

In short, it appears you do indeed have a security issue.

Do you have another key you can try? I'm thinking that will confirm if the problem is in the ignition or in the key.

Doug

·
Registered
588 Posts
Grrrr Sorry forgot 09 system also uses different Key types as well I would almost guess that the keys now that I think about it may not have been coded.. Any key can be cut for the car. However a Locksmith or Dealer would have to make a master key if you didn't have one already working to start with... So one that was only cut without being coded would only be able to open door and trunk turn Ign but not start car.

It could be that you might be able to get one from the dealer without taking the car there with your Vin and proof of ownership. However might need proof of ownership and car to get one made.

Thank you for the correction Plano-Doug

James

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car came with 3 keys and the remote start and door lock factory fob. One of the keys has a small piece broken off of it like someone tried to pry something with it. I am wondering if that broken key may have activated the security system? But then again I have put my honda key in the ignition of my 2010 9c1 by mistake (keys look simular) and did not have any problems. I have tried to start the car with both good keys and tried to remote start and the engine will not turn over.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Ok so when you say it don't turn over. It it turns over but don't start?

When you try to use the FOB RS feature what does your car do?

I know that going to the dealer don't sound like fun but maybe if you call them and tell them about what it is doing they might know of a issue. Something as easy as reflashing your system maybe...

Problem is it is hard to say what the problem is. i am not sure what you have already done to test your cars ability to start in other ways?

So I will ask, Have you done anything in the area of your Starter Relay or if you have a Handheld Remote starter button, have you tried to start/turning over your car that way?

Turn the car on with key, use handheld remote starter setup as required by brand. Does your car start

Also when you turn your cars key on can you hear your cars Fuel Pump prime?

James

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Engine will not turn over no matter what I try. I tried switching out the starer relay but still will not turn over. Nothing happens when I try remote starting either. I tried the key relearn thing this morning and security light is still on. I have not listened for the fuel pump priming. I am really frustrated with looking on the internet trying to find wiring diagrams and such. There is literally no information on the 06-11 impalas on line. They say there is,but if you click on the site what you see has nothing to do with the 06-11 impala. Can not even find a diagram that shows the fuse box pin numbers. Really getting disgusted.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I hope you have put the RELAYS back the way they were to start with...

I thought I would touch on something that others don't seem to touch on about RELAYS...

In General they look the Same. Micro most times look like other Micro, and Mini as well. Plus the Standard relays. In most cases They are not all Created Equal. Sadly GM and some other Car companies don't list Amp ratting of the Relays used. So when you say you take a Relay that looks like the other and swaped it out. There could be a few issues with that...

One Most cases the control side of the relay is Numbered 85 and 86. As a standard it don't matter what side is + and what side is Ground. However in some Relays that does matter because it could be Diode Isolated. If power was to come in from the wrong way it damages the diode. Also there are some Relays that have Resisters in them. So main reason to not swap them around is because you may be taking a Relay that don't have the Resister and put in place of one that does. Then that protection that was in place is now gone. This could pose a different issue in the end.

Our cars starting back in mid 90's but more so in the 2000 on have very complex computers in them sensors and such that in turn may need an extra level of protection. The Relays with Resistor and Diode is like a Gate so when the relay closes it don't send un wanted voltage to the computers or what not...

I have seen many cars with issues that were so hard to track down because of the Relay Swap Game. I am not saying that this is your case but I just thought I would toss in that it is Best Practice if you swapped Relays to Put them back were they were to Start. Only swap relays to test something. It could be needed to get you home if the Relay was bad. But I wouldn't keep it in working unless the relays were of the Same Part Numbers. Sometimes they can be Close. In my mind Close isn't the same so I wouldn't keep using the Close on unless it is said by a Parts guide as being the Same...

James

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Something I just noticed, If I try to lock the doors using the electric door locks on the doors and the remote the doors will not lock and the security lock starts flashing. Definitely have a problem with the security. The first time we hooked a battery to the car the DIC flashed theft attempted but only displayed it that one time. Now it only displays hood open, check right front tire pressure and washer fluid low.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Ok well Hood open message would be a Reason that if everything is working well and your Remote start was to try and start the car. Hood Open would not let the car start by Remote...

Could be as said the Security is at fault.

Another thing. If the key is left in the car Ign when you try and lock the door without being in the car all the doors but the Drivers door will lock. In Most cases all doors lock and then the Drivers door unlocks.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Here are some Wiring Diagrams. The first one, Shows Starter from Gen/Alt to Starter, and also the Starter Control Relay at the top left of the Diagram...

The second one is better display of the Starter and Relay for better info. Shows what is in place to make starter work... Hope these help you some.

James

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With the knowledge of Revo2Maxx I finally got the engine to turn over today. Turns out that the fuse box has a bad spot where the starter fuse or starter relay plugs in. I pulled the starter fuse and ran a jumper wire from the positive terminal on the battery to one of the starter fuse prong in the fuse box and the engine turned over (sweet sound). Turns out this is not related at all to the security system. Again many thanks to Revo2Maxx.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Very welcome, Glad I could be some help. Figured some help in PM may be a faster way to do some trouble shooting.. I know that I and others are here to help if you have some other issues in the future.. Feel free to reach out in any means you have if ever needed.

James...

·
Registered
1 Posts
With the knowledge of Revo2Maxx I finally got the engine to turn over today. Turns out that the fuse box has a bad spot where the starter fuse or starter relay plugs in. I pulled the starter fuse and ran a jumper wire from the positive terminal on the battery to one of the starter fuse prong in the fuse box and the engine turned over (sweet sound). Turns out this is not related at all to the security system. Again many thanks to Revo2Maxx.
Can you do a video on it I'm having the same issue

1 - 17 of 17 Posts