Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My security light on 03 impala comes on occasionally and I don't know if it's tied together but the car won't start occasionally. You have to wait a few minutes and try to start and it will. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
My security light on 03 impala comes on occasionally and I don't know if it's tied together but the car won't start occasionally. You have to wait a few minutes and try to start and it will. Any thoughts?

Unfortunately I don't have any experience in this area, except when I installed my ZZP PCM, I did a security relearn, but I've never had a security light or no start problem.
I'd be more concerned about the no start than the security light, but they could be tied together.
Is there a pattern? How often does it not start?

·
Registered
678 Posts
You could have a faulty key sensor. I replaced one once in an Olds Alero that had the same issues... Security light was on and the car would not start quite often. Once I ruled out the starter, ignition switch and related parts, I moved on to the passkey sensor and replaced it. Car started right up and is still trouble free to this day. So this is my thought on where your problem might be.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
You could have a faulty key sensor. I replaced one once in an Olds Alero that had the same issues... Security light was on and the car would not start quite often. Once I ruled out the starter, ignition switch and related parts, I moved on to the passkey sensor and replaced it. Car started right up and is still trouble free to this day. So this is my thought on where your problem might be.
I'm thinking key sensor, or, at the other end, a bad connection at the BCM from the sensor.

The gen7 Impalas had a TSB, attached, which recommends cleaning the contacts at the BCM by simply removing and re-inserting the connector a few times. (This is done with the battery disconnected. The BCM is above the driver's left foot.) I'd do this before doing the sensor. This is a lot easier than getting at the ignition switch :)

Doug

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts