Impala Forums banner

secondary air pump?

25K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Dwayne J 
#1 ·
My engine light came on recently and when I had my fellow club memeber/ mechanic check it out, after everything was said and done..it was the secondary air pump... it was gonna cost like 350.00 which I didn't have @ the moment... so he told me it serve any purpose at all (which I have a hard time to believe)... I need some input becouse my engine light would come on and go off just becouse of that secondary air pump....I aslo found that a lot of members of the inc clubs just take them off.

#2 ·
The pump can be disconnected and disabled. GM has a program that we use to update the computer to delete the air pump from programming. This way its not in the system and you do not have to physically remove it. There is also a Federal emissions sticker that needs to be placed where visible to avoid any problems in emissions states.

Right now you can unplug the pump or remove the fuse for it.

#6 ·
Question

What size plugs did you use for the air pump delete as well as the pulley for the air pump? I don't have a need for it being that I am about to put long tube headers on my 95 Impala with no catalytic converter. Thanks for the help regarding this matter. Also what did you do for the ERG delete?

#7 ·
The 94-96 Air pump is electronic, meaning, no pulley. Mid way through 95, they switched to a different style air pump fitting at the exhaust manifold. The manifold threads are different as well. We would need to know which style fitting the 95 has, first.

For the EGR delete on 94/95's, you just put a plate on the intake, and the exhaust manifold. Stops working, and no CEL.

#8 ·
having trouble with water that got into my secondary air pump. motor is on bottom of mount. going to turn pump so it is on top so water won't run into it. not sreal sure if it will work but it's worth a shot. also put in a couple of 1/16 drain holes in blower case for drainage. waiting on new pump motor. let ya know what happens

#12 ·
I think it's a 6th generation . It's a 2000 impala with 3800 engine. I redesigned on how they had air pump put in. I made it so the motor is on top and the pump is on bottom. Figured that way water wouldn't have a chance of running down in it. Had to do some cutting on hoses to make it work but wasn't that bad. hoping this works out:idea:

#14 ·
Got a new secondary air pump and turned it so motor is on top and not on bottom to avoid any water getting in it. Also replaced check valve and I'm still having the 30 amp fuse blow out on me.???????. Only thing I could think of is that we here in Ohio have been having really cold weather and that water in line might of froze blocking it and causing a strain on the air pump. Any ideas of what might be wrong? Also got the same code fault as before, p0410.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.