Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know that this question might make a few people cringe (including me), but I need to figure this out if I ever expect my wife to allow my baby son ride with me.

What's the best way to install seat belts in a 1963 Impala? I've looked around for seat belt kits, but haven't found much. All I really need is a belt in the back seat for a toddler's car seat. Aside from that, I could live without seat belts anywhere else in the car.

I can already hear the comments I'll get on this, but like I said, I have to figure something out. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
i think it would be stupid to not have at least lap belts for everyone in the car. the mentality that having or wearing seatbelts isn't cool...isn't cool.

·
Registered
13 Posts
OK, I know that this question might make a few people cringe (including me), but I need to figure this out if I ever expect my wife to allow my baby son ride with me.

What's the best way to install seat belts in a 1963 Impala? I've looked around for seat belt kits, but haven't found much. All I really need is a belt in the back seat for a toddler's car seat. Aside from that, I could live without seat belts anywhere else in the car.

I can already hear the comments I'll get on this, but like I said, I have to figure something out. :confused::confused::confused::confused:
If you remove the seats your car already comes from factory equiped with seat belt placements. You can call any impala shop and buy seat belts that come with all hardware. There not exact reproduction as the originals but still have the "old school look" to them. I have a original set I was going to put on ebay that needs restoration if you want to go that route but if you are not going for a exact restoration you cant go wrong with the repops. I did mine few months back as I like the look it gives my interior!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info

Texas Bowties,

Thanks for the reply and the tips. I'll have to call around and see who can help me out.

Aaron

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ive got two kids also and need to put some in my wagon. It will be the first thing I do.
Does the wagon also already come with the mounts for them like the sedans?
Thanks
Bernie
From my understanding 1962 was the first year they where offered on the Impala by GM and where considered an accy. so all floors came ready to install the seatbelts so you should have no issues what so ever.
:biggrin:

·
Registered
115 Posts
From my understanding 1962 was the first year they where offered on the Impala by GM and where considered an accy. so all floors came ready to install the seatbelts so you should have no issues what so ever.
Great that will save some fab time. Rather just beable to bolt them into a factory spot for ease and saftey sakes
Thanks alot
Bernie

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Texas Bowties,

Thanks for the reply and the tips. I'll have to call around and see who can help me out.

Aaron
my 63 came with them from the factory for the front, but i bought some for the back from Hubbards impala parts i beleave. they look very close to the orig. the company that actually makes the belt is Beams industries inc. if i rember correctly. have had them in my '63 for many years now

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for these great links. I need rear belts as well. Now for the real sacrilege... Is there a way to retrofit shoulder harnesses to a '65 convertible? We were in a bad accident this spring where both airbags blew. ('08 Nissan) Our son in the backseat had no injuries thanks to his shoulder harness. Had we been in the '65, it would not have been pretty for any of us.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting. Texas penal code says seat belts must be worn if a car has seat belts, and elsewhere it says a car is considered to have seat belts if it has the anchor points. So if you have a '62 or newer car in Texas you HAVE to install seat belts, is that correct?

My new years resolution is to never buy a car with seat belts again.

·
Registered
823 Posts
This is a very old thread. That is a very dumb new years resolution.

If the car did not have belts from the factory you are safe.

You may want to start getting into trucks as it was not mandatory for them to have belts until 78 IIRC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is a very old thread. That is a very dumb new years resolution.

You may want to start getting into trucks as it was not mandatory for them to have belts until 78 IIRC.
Yea I'm one of the few remaining citizens who value freedom over comfort and safety. No golden bird cage for me!

I *am* into trucks - pretty sure it was ~71, my '77 F250 crew cab had shoulder belts.

Yea I also thought I shouldn't have to tear the carpet out to find out if there might be a rusted up bolthole in there.

·
Registered
823 Posts
You can always move to georgia or new hampshire. In Georgia trucks are exempt. In new hampshire if you are over 18 you are exempt from, although you are ured to wear a seat belt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can always move to georgia or new hampshire. In Georgia trucks are exempt. In new hampshire if you are over 18 you are exempt from, although you are ured to wear a seat belt.
I wonder if there are some statistics out there. I bet there will be less accidents if people don't feel uber-protected.

Nonetheless though I'd rather buy myself a 50-state pass in the form of a cool old ride, more practical and cheaper than moving :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Originally Posted by thacarter546

That is the same in Australia.... Safety belts became compulsory in new cars in about 1966 ( I think ).

And if have a Car that was built before that.... it is not compulsory to have them fitted.

I think, even if they rebuilt .... and Re-registed.

Although these days to drive a car without seat belts myself ,... I feel somethings missing.. and uncomfortable

Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
These are the Reproductions ones I am using in my 63 just to give you a idea. Might want shop around see who gives you a better price. Keep me posted on pictures when you have them installed:biggrin:

1947-1976 Chevy Seat Belt Black Chrome Lift Latch Buckle
I just got a 1963 Impala SS Convertible. How did you finally install your rear seatbelts? Did you find "dimples" in the rear floor pan? Welded nuts under the floor?Pictures if possible. Thanks, please reply to: [email protected]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts