Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am new here, and do not own an Impala (yet!). Two years ago I purchased a 2001 Crown Vic before graduating college due to it being cheap, good on gas, low miles, and granny didn't put a scratch on the car.

However I think 12 years of age is having a tough impact on my car.

I keep going through IAC Valves like its going out of style
I cannot keep a good alignment, and have been getting a creak when I cut the wheel at low speed (not Ball Joint or Tie rod, they have been inspected thoroughly)
When I'm at a stop and let off the brake you can hear and feel a grinding sound, I also go through front rotors like it's my job.
The passenger door window motor went on me
Clear coat is starting to "bubble" on the roof
When OD is engaged and the car drops to its UBER low RPM at crusing speed you can feel a shudder, and the car jerks often like it keeps trying to disengage OD.
The creaks/rattles from the interior is annoying when the radio is off

Since I am a lucky college grad to have found employment, and my girlfriends disdain for my choice of automobile I have been thinking about moving up to a new Impala (2012+).

I won't go any older than 2012 since I want a step up from the Vic for power, 300hp vs 230 on 2 less cylinders is a win! I have also seen mid to high 6 second 0-60 times which are roughly 2 seconds faster than what I am used to, but how do the new 3.6L motors handle passing? The Vic may have been a dog off the line but when you hit the gas at 60mph she'll whip your neck back and hit 80 incredibly quick (2.73 rear end). I ask this because it is important to me.

I also see a lot of people getting 31-32 mpg on the highway with these cars on road trips, which is about 3-4 mpg better than what I get with the Vic. However the Vic only sees 19-22 mpg on a 30% city-70% highway drive and right now only 16 mpg since she needs warmed up in the sub freezing temps, anyone in my area(da Burgh) know what mpg they are getting while warming up before a 15 mile drive up 79?

I know I am downsizing (not by much though) from the Vic to the Impala, but I hate small cars and I look at the Impala as the last bastion of good ole full size cars! I'm a man who enjoys the basics in his car, AC, radio, cruise, and power windows; anything else I'm not too keen on.

After looking at auto trader and seeing the fleet queens (The gray LT models are sweet looking) with less than 10k miles that are under a year old selling for $16,000-$17,000 I am certain I wouldn't feel the pain of a payment, although I may hold out for the new 2014 models since they are just gorgeous, and maintain the 2012/13 engine and transmission.

I apologize for the novel I just wrote, but the input of 2012-13 Impala owners would be highly appreciated! Especially if they went from a Vic/Marquis platform like I am planning on doing, thanks! :eek:k3:

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Had 1994 Vic for the kids, nice car but the 2012 Impala after 60 will leave the Vic in the dust. These cars come alive after 2200rpm all the way to the redline. If you are on the highway you can let the car do the shift from 6 to 5 gear but you can also do it manually using the controls on the left side of the steering wheel. You might look at an LTZ because it come with bigger front and rear sway bars, it does make a difference.
Best thing is go out and drive both models. Happy Hunting.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I know I am downsizing (not by much though) from the Vic to the Impala, but I hate small cars and I look at the Impala as the last bastion of good ole full size cars! I'm a man who enjoys the basics in his car, AC, radio, cruise, and power windows; anything else I'm not too keen on.
Be sure to test drive a 2012 Charger as well. If you prefer a powerful rear wheel drive vehicle, then you should definitely consider the Dodge Charger. I own a 2006 Impala LTZ and its a great car, but I sure would love having rear wheel power. The 2012 Impala is a great choice with a good engine and transmission. :eek:k3:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Since I am a lucky college grad to have found employment, and my girlfriends disdain for my choice of automobile I have been thinking about moving up to a new Impala (2012+).

I won't go any older than 2012 since I want a step up from the Vic for power, 300hp vs 230 on 2 less cylinders is a win! I have also seen mid to high 6 second 0-60 times which are roughly 2 seconds faster than what I am used to, but how do the new 3.6L motors handle passing? The Vic may have been a dog off the line but when you hit the gas at 60mph she'll whip your neck back and hit 80 incredibly quick (2.73 rear end). I ask this because it is important to me.
Passing power is ridiculous in my new to me 2012 Impala LT. The 3.6L doesn't have much off the line (I'm guessing torque management is imposing in the PCM, that and the ETC is programmed very conservatively), but once it's moving it's insanely powerful what it is.

I also see a lot of people getting 31-32 mpg on the highway with these cars on road trips, which is about 3-4 mpg better than what I get with the Vic. However the Vic only sees 19-22 mpg on a 30% city-70% highway drive and right now only 16 mpg since she needs warmed up in the sub freezing temps, anyone in my area(da Burgh) know what mpg they are getting while warming up before a 15 mile drive up 79?
LMAO

I'm in the 'Burgh too. During my morning and evening commutes through heavy traffic I'm seeing mid-20s MPG in substantial amounts of stop and go traffic.

The few times I've had a chance to let it cruise on the highway it made it up in to the low 30s.

It's a very substantial jump in gas mileage compared to the other cars in my signature.

After looking at auto trader and seeing the fleet queens (The gray LT models are sweet looking) with less than 10k miles that are under a year old selling for $16,000-$17,000 I am certain I wouldn't feel the pain of a payment, although I may hold out for the new 2014 models since they are just gorgeous, and maintain the 2012/13 engine and transmission.

I apologize for the novel I just wrote, but the input of 2012-13 Impala owners would be highly appreciated! Especially if they went from a Vic/Marquis platform like I am planning on doing, thanks!
I've never had a big old boat like the Vic or Grandma Kee, but having owned a LOT of different cars over the years I really, really like this 2012 Impala LT so far. Once I figure out to remove the torque management and make the tune just a little more aggressive, I'm going to really love it.

Reactions: volume

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I've never had a big old boat like the Vic or Grandma Kee, but having owned a LOT of different cars over the years I really, really like this 2012 Impala LT so far. Once I figure out to remove the torque management and make the tune just a little more aggressive, I'm going to really love it.
I wonder if Will's Overkill tune will be able to remove the active torque management?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Overkill is tuning 2012 Impalas? I haven't gotten around to trying HP Tuners with mine yet, but if it doesn't work I guess I'll be giving him a call.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
May or may not happen, be tunes by what he has access to. He won't tune a vehicle if be can't test the tune himself, and as far as I know he doesn't have access to a 2012 currently.

Reactions: Dave_N

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
May or may not happen, be tunes by what he has access to. He won't tune a vehicle if be can't test the tune himself, and as far as I know he doesn't have access to a 2012 currently.
I guess one of the 2012 owners will have to drive down and him write a program specifically for the car?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts