Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here is my poorly-defined question on a Saturday morning. Looking for suggestions for an OBD-II and newer type of scan tool with (at least) the following abilities/attributes:

- not laptop based or smart phone based
- able to not only read error codes, but also able to reset
- covers broad range of systems including ABS
- able to view live data as well as snapshot: voltages, temperature, etc.
- open to additional features I have not mentioned
- price hopefully no more than $250.00

Ok, so open the floodgates of opinions (kindly hold the criticisms - I haven't had my coffee yet). Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Stay away from innova. They do not keep true to their advertising. While the 31603 I have will do all those things you mention plus srs, the software to view the live data on a computer is no longer supported unless you own an auto repair business. When I first got the scanner and downloaded the software I was able to transfer andview my data log on my computer and see everything stored from the car to the scanner, unfortunately innova put out an auto update sometime between then and a couple months ago that rendered the software I had on my computer useless. When I contacted their cs, they said I was pretty well sol unless I owned a shop or was a shop worker. Not the type answer a consumer expects.

The box says right on it as well as their website that you can transfer live data for viewing with their software.

·
Registered
680 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
It has gotten great reviews and it does alot for what you are paying. Best to catch it on sale and then drop a 20% off coupon on it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks to all for your individual and collective inputs.

Anyone have any experience with the Foxwell line of products? Specifically, the Foxwell, NT644? How does it compare to the other units mentioned above? Does it do anything additional (or NOT do anything) the others mentioned do? I do recognize this model is over the previously-mentioned $250 limit, but I have come across a possible purchase for around $300 (not too much above my limit) so I figured I'd ask.

Link to the product:

http://www.foxwelltech.com/product/item-14.html

Usual disclaimer(s): I have no vested interest in the company or product beyond considering buying it for myself to use. Thanks again in advance for all your input.

·
Registered
598 Posts
So, I'm going to throw in my recommendation for the OTC 3208.

It reads and clear codes, as well as ABS. It also has manufacturer specific definitions for most codes! Not only that, it can also check I/M monitors and give you live readouts of your engine parameters such as speed, RPM, temps, throttle position, ignition advance, ABS load, etc. etc. with freeze-frame capabilities.

The best part? It's $60 on Amazon. I upgraded to it to read ABS codes (I had a smaller code reader but it couldn't read ABS), and I couldn't be happier with my choice.

Edit: There is no airbag capability, but that's available on the next model up, the 3209. Don't know all that much about it, so I can't vouch for it but I really like my 3208. Fun fact; OTC tools is a subsidiary of Bosch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone have any experience with the Foxwell line of products? Specifically, the Foxwell, NT644? How does it compare to the other units mentioned above? Does it do anything additional (or NOT do anything) the others mentioned do? I do recognize this model is over the previously-mentioned $250 limit, but I have come across a possible purchase for around $300 (not too much above my limit) so I figured I'd ask.
An expensive scanner :crying. This detailed review about Foxwell NT644 Pro may be helpful for you ;) https://www.obdadvisor.com/foxwell-nt644-review/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts