Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Impala. The driver's side sun visor will not stay all the way up in the storage position, it sags down about 2" or so. The passenger side has a distinct detent that holds it up and I'm sure the driver's side had that too.

Any idea what is going on or what the fix is?

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
The car has 60,000kms on it. Apparently most of that must have been on the viser.
That's funny :)

There are some folks who will constantly be adjusting things. Or, they have a quirk such that when they adjust it, they always impart some awkward additional force that over-stresses it resulting in accelerated wear.

Maybe the previous owner could never get it adjusted "just right" so was constantly fiddling with it.

Doug

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Driver side sagging and the passenger not doing the same would seem to me that the visor was probably used often. Also possible the user may have been rough on the visor, jerked on it or no telling what. Really unless you own the car from new you just don't know, and even then you could have a wife or daughter that used the car visor to put on her makeup regularly.

Reactions: plano-doug

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, we did buy it from a little old lady.

Oddly, it will stay in any position EXCEPT fully raised against the roof. It will happily stay fully raised against the windshield.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Well, we did buy it from a little old lady.

Oddly, it will stay in any position EXCEPT fully raised against the roof. It will happily stay fully raised against the windshield.
I have torn into maybe 1 visor in my life. Looking at them, there's almost no way to take them apart without breaking something. So, from that perspective, my inclination is to get a replacement.

I like Sheila and 12_lt's idea best, going to the salvage yard and getting a used one. Take yours out of your car first, so you know what tools are needed, and take it with you to be sure the replacement matches. I think there are ~3 Philips screws holding it in.

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
There are a number of these threads already, so I thought I'd revive an old one instead of starting a new one.

Has anyone tried putting a thick sticky grease on the visor rail to give it some resistance to make it stay in place?

I think that it would work, but I'm not aware of a sticky grease that's safe for plastic. Any ideas on what grease I could use?

I have a 2006 9C1, and I use the visor every day.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
There are a number of these threads already, so I thought I'd revive an old one instead of starting a new one.

Has anyone tried putting a thick sticky grease on the visor rail to give it some resistance to make it stay in place?

I think that it would work, but I'm not aware of a sticky grease that's safe for plastic. Any ideas on what grease I could use?

I have a 2006 9C1, and I use the visor every day.
Stickum comes to mind. You probably have to be an NFL fan and over 50 to know what this is :)

Amazon.com : Mueller Stickum Adhesive Spray, 4oz Aerosol : Sports & Outdoors

Doug

1 - 13 of 13 Posts