Impala Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
The Unscrupulous Lt. Colonel
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening gents, i was wondering if my veteran hot rodders can me with something. Im getting to the point where i need to upgrade my rear gears for the 96 SS. I was sold 100% percent on 3.42s with a detroit locker posi. But since my commute to work is under 5 miles one way and the fact that i will be getting a GM truck hopefully before summer, im considering going after 3.73s instead since the SS will be more of a weekend/ and a occasional track car...

Im looking at around 800+ dollars parts and labor which is fine for the posi/gear upgrade. But i believe ive found a loop hole that could save me over half that amount and have either of the performance gears im looking for STOCK. Enter the collective units of the S10: Blazer: Bravada. Im researching and quite a bit of the late 90s-2000 Smaller SUV: Trucks have the same 8.5 rear end assembly offering 3.42 gears in the base models and some offering the 3.73 under the 4x4 options. I see the way to find if its posi equipped is looking for the RPO G80 in the identification sticker. My question is has somebody done a similar assembly swap, how do i know for sure what gear ratio is offered (vin check, etc), i think thats it for now. I will be looking for the disk equipped units also btw. LOL

Thanks for your help and look forward to your feedback.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts