Impala Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may not be the place for this rant, but here it goes anyway. I own a 2000 Impala, I like the size of the car, but this car is a nightmare. First of all the transmission went out, the rack and pinion broke, not to mention the problem with Dex cool, now I see that the rear strut towers are rusting out. What the heck is going on with GM, can't they build a decent car that will last? This may be my last Impala, I still like the car basically, but mechanically it's subpar. Again I'm sorry for the rant but I do feel better now. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
88 Posts
This may not be the place for this rant, but here it goes anyway. I own a 2000 Impala, I like the size of the car, but this car is a nightmare. First of all the transmission went out, the rack and pinion broke, not to mention the problem with Dex cool, now I see that the rear strut towers are rusting out. What the heck is going on with GM, can't they build a decent car that will last? This may be my last Impala, I still like the car basically, but mechanically it's subpar. Again I'm sorry for the rant but I do feel better now. Thanks for listening.
Just my 2 cents but here it goes lol

In 2000, the Wbody Impala was introduced. The only problem with buying a new model car is that the possiblity of problems is greatly higher just because of the new...well...everything. The problems you're mentioning seem to only be with those early Wbody Impalas. Depending on what part of the Sates you live, the salt in the winters will def eat away at your car. I mean it has been 10 years of abuse lol.

I have a 2005 Impala with no problems at all. 121k miles running strong! Keep the faith!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
It's a 2000 model year vehicle, which means it came out in 1999. Which means that your car is very possibly 11 years old.

You're going to see issues. Did you buy an old car with the expectation that it wouldn't break?

·
Super Moderator
7,058 Posts
Your car is 10 to 11 years old. It will have some issues. Since you still like the car I would get the quick struts (struts with new springs already installed) and change them out.

I have learned until the car needs as much per month in maintenance as a new car payment and needs this for a year on end then it is cheaper to keep the old car verses buying a new one.

I have two old cars, my 34 year old Impala and my 97 van which has over 347K miles on it. I am not trading either one off, yes both needs work, but both are very cheap when compared to buying a new to almost new one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I realize that by buying a new a first year model car, they will have problems, I kinda expect that with new advancements with that model, but unibody and struts have been around for years, why would it be changed for the one year when there is a proven method out there. I think what I;m trying to say, if it works today, and is good enough, leave it alone, it's just a car.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Can you take a pic? And are you sure it's the towers themselves that are rusting and not the top of the struts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can take a picture, but I am sure that it is more than the top of the tower, all though that is rusting too. The rust the bothers me is the rust on the side of the tower, that is showing up on the inside of the trunk and is bad enough to shove a small dia screwdriver through the hole. I think what is happening is that there is a reiforcment bracket that has voids that trap water. I still very disapointed with this situation. Thinking of a was to fix it. Not very easy to fix.

Thanks.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Could likely have a new tower area welded in. There's more than enough ruined Impalas out there, GM sold about 250k each year since 2000.

If you've never heard of undercoating or oilspraying for cars, you should look into it. It works wonders. Of course, with your current metal, it's too late. But oilspraying is great preventative maintenance against rust. If you have the strut tower metal replaced, oilspray the car before next winter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for idea of undercoating. I was thinking of replacing or repairing them in some fashion, seeing as how the car's not worth nothing on the market now, I may as well see if I can fix it. Back to the oil coating, I have a 1990 GMC pickup that I have sprayed drain oil in the door and other crevis every fall, and the truck still looks fairly presentable, but for the paint falling off it. So I know that it can be done, it's just I didn't expect the strut towers on a car to be a prime spot for this kind of rust. I still wish that car makers would start making at leat one model that is body on frame construction. I think they are much easier to repair.

Again, thanks for your input.

·
Registered
375 Posts
thanks for idea of undercoating. I was thinking of replacing or repairing them in some fashion, seeing as how the car's not worth nothing on the market now, I may as well see if I can fix it. Back to the oil coating, I have a 1990 GMC pickup that I have sprayed drain oil in the door and other crevis every fall, and the truck still looks fairly presentable, but for the paint falling off it. So I know that it can be done, it's just I didn't expect the strut towers on a car to be a prime spot for this kind of rust. I still wish that car makers would start making at leat one model that is body on frame construction. I think they are much easier to repair.

Again, thanks for your input.
Body on frame construction :biggrin:

I haven't seen many Impalas with internal rust at the rear strut towers, maybe two or three. Maybe the suspension was replaced and the new components never seated or sealed properly?

·
Registered
1 Posts
It must be the model yearof 2000. My strut towers are in terrible condition as well. Yes, I know the care is 14 years old but it has been a wonderful car 240K miles and still going strong. I did have to replace the tranny a few years back but that is about it. This car was in the south up until 3 years ago and not exposed to any snow/weather. It has no rust anywhere else on the entire body. Hoping it can be fixed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It must be the model yearof 2000. My strut towers are in terrible condition as well. Yes, I know the care is 14 years old but it has been a wonderful car 240K miles and still going strong. I did have to replace the tranny a few years back but that is about it. This car was in the south up until 3 years ago and not exposed to any snow/weather. It has no rust anywhere else on the entire body. Hoping it can be fixed.
What I read elsewhere is that the first year, there is overlapping sheet metal at the top of the tower that is not sealed. So it's a huge moisture trap. Later years they put in plastic shields in the wheel wells. Anybody corroborate that? And whether they put a sealer in where the metal panels overlap wasn't mentioned.

I have a 2000 that couldn't have the left strut replaced because the mechanic didn't want to touch it. The right side wasn't much better but they did it because that side collapsed while I was driving and destroyed the tire.

Both sides have about half the circumference separated by rot. ie 50% of the tower is now holding the struts. Flexy flexy.

I might just go with 1 inch wide straps of the heaviest bar steel I can bend into L or U brackets and bolt a few of them over each tower down onto good sheet metal further down the towers from inside the trunk - with a view to getting those welded in later when I get a chance to find someone to do it for less than the value of the car, LOL.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an older post but is there anyone making repair parts for these strut towers now or is this still make your own and weld it up?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2000 Impala base model with the 3.4 motor. This car runs great and is in fantastic shape mechanically, but it's a Michigan car. That being said, the rear strut towers have rotted out to the point where they're resting up on the roof of the trunk. My back wheels have become visibly crooked. It's by far the most reliable car I've ever owned and I'll drive it until it dies...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts