Impala Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the rust finally caught up to my car this winter, I've got several spots, that appeared or got way bigger, in those common places, front wheel well close to the rocker panel, up high in the rear wheel well and around the LED brake light.

And since I don't know much about paint and stuff, I thought you guys could enlighten me on what I should buy and the steps I should take.

And in case it matters my Impala's color is berry red metallic

·
Super Moderator
10,791 Posts
You get so much road salt in Ontario you should get your car undercoated every fall.
My 83 spent most of it's life in Sarnia Ont. but was undercoated every year.
It has never had any rust on it , good as new :eek:k3:

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
FWIW, the rocker/fender rust is a sign the entire kick panel piece is rusted and is creeping up. IE behind your side skirt is all rusted to Hell, so simply fixing the fender part does not prevent it from happening again. I have the same problem on mine, fixed it by fender last year, back again with a vengeance.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You get so much road salt in Ontario you should get your car undercoated every fall.
Yeah... I don't have an excuse for not getting it done....

FWIW, the rocker/fender rust is a sign the entire kick panel piece is rusted and is creeping up. IE behind your side skirt is all rusted to Hell, so simply fixing the fender part does not prevent it from happening again. I have the same problem on mine, fixed it by fender last year, back again with a vengeance.
Ok yeah I've heard that before from my uncle, his plastic rocker panel cover just fell off one day because the rocker panel was so rusted

·
Registered
848 Posts
Cut, clean and replace. That is the only way to rid your vehicle of rust.
That said, I'm not on the rustproofing bandwagon myself.

Good Luck!

·
Banned
667 Posts
So the rust finally caught up to my car this winter, I've got several spots, that appeared or got way bigger, in those common places, front wheel well close to the rocker panel, up high in the rear wheel well and around the LED brake light.

And since I don't know much about paint and stuff, I thought you guys could enlighten me on what I should buy and the steps I should take.

I suggest move to a area were it does not snow. problem solved

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Snow isn't bad, it's the crap they use to keep us from sliding on the road :)
Agreed :eek:k3:

Moisture doesn't kill steel like salt does. Unless you wash your car thoroughly (winter obv) every single day there is really no chance at holding it back. So, At least 1-2 times a year (in summer) I brush down as much as a I can and do a rubber undercoating. I know I haven't given as much care as I should to the rocker panels but, I am sure I give more care to my underbody than most.

Reactions: Old Bones

·
Registered
47 Posts

I'm preparing myself for a spring project - Rear doors underneath the rubber weatherguard. It's all rotted.Ugh...Make sure you stay up on tiny rust spots with a clay bar.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'm preparing myself for a spring project - Rear doors underneath the rubber weatherguard. It's all rotted.Ugh...Make sure you stay up on tiny rust spots with a clay bar.
How does a clay bar help rust spots?

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
How does a clay bar help rust spots?
It doesn't! All it does is help remove fine dust particles/bugs/tar etc...

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Reactions: Joe

·
Registered
47 Posts
Its rail dust, an iron cutter will pull it all out..pm me if your interested
I looked online regarding rail dust and found this "It is also more noticable after winter, road salt aggravates the process and helps the particles to rust faster than plain water."

That explains why every spring I have dozens of specs on my nice white car. All this time I thought it was from salt sitting on the paint. The amount of salt they use here is ridiculous! Thanks, you guys taught me something new. Sorry for the confusion. :oops:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts